Date:	Sun, 9 Feb 2014 23:32:32 -0500
From:	Gene Heskett <gheskett@...v.com>
To:	Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@...radead.org>
Cc:	Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop@...world.com>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: make oldfonfig broken.

On Sunday 09 February 2014, Randy Dunlap wrote:
>On 02/09/2014 08:14 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

>>> Still -- this ATSC problem should not be part of a reply to the Remove
>>> DEPRECATED patch.
>>
>> True.  But I got some attention.

>>> what question seemed to broad?
>>
>> You wanted to see "a" config, but I wanted to show the diffs. Also
>> yesterday I hadn't gone thru what I have yet to see where it falls
>> apart.

>>> what mail server?  yours?  wdtv?  vger.kernel.org certainly has no
>>> problem with them.
>>
>> I have gotten bounced from lkml because a screen shot pix of a failed
>> boot was too big.  Perhaps 18 months or so.  It was big, from a 10
>> megapixel camera.

>>> Gene, I want to make sure where you are saying the problem is.
>>> Is it going directly from 3.019 to 3.8.2, with no intervening kernel
>>> versions?
>>
>> No, one intermediate step in this case.
>>
>> I started with 3.0.19, which was fine, took that one to 3.2.40, and
>> that one to 3.8.2 because I don't have anything between those here.
>> Not exactly a step by step.
>
>and when you go from one kernel version to the next, do you use
>
>$ make oldconfig
>and answer all of its questions, or do you use

I generally answer all its questions, or take the default by hitting enter,
but I do read all its questions.

>$ yes '' | make oldconfig

Never done that in all these years.

>or some other variant?  (I guess in your super build script.)

This is long before my "super script" gets fired off.

And that part is actually working well, run it as root, do a grub-update
and reboot.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

NOTICE: Will pay 100 USD for an HP-4815A defective but
complete probe assembly.