Date:	Thu, 13 Feb 2014 20:53:21 +0100
From:	Ortwin Glück <odi@....ch>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: xfrm: is pmtu broken with ESP tunneling?

On 02/13/2014 01:01 AM, Hannes Frederic Sowa wrote:
> Could you try either dropwatch or perf script net_dropmonitor and flood the
> network with the problematic packets. From the traces we could see where the
> packets get dropped without notification in the kernel.

Not much to see, unfortunately. The COUNT doesn't reflect the number packets
that I am missing.

                  LOCATION                    OFFSET                     COUNT

      ieee80211_iface_work                       208                         1

> Strange that the problem disappears if you enable no_pmtu_disc then.

It seems with PMTU the initial mtu is the one of the device (1500). So the
original packet will have that size, but is subsequently wrapped into ESP and
UDP, which add to that size. And the final packet is then larger than the device
MTU... I know nothing about the ip / xfrm kernel code, so it's hard for me to
verify if that theory is real.

Thanks,

Ortwin