Date:	Fri, 14 Feb 2014 14:21:42 -0500
From:	Gene Heskett <gheskett@...v.com>
To:	Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@...radead.org>
Cc:	"linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org" <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Loseing my patience with libata and sata_nv

On Friday 14 February 2014, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Not finding the option in any kernel tree that exists on my system,
>> except it appears its been replaced or something.
>>
>> This once in a lifetime boot, to 3.12.9, shows from an lsmod:
>> libata                146855  2 sata_nv,pata_amd
>> scsi_mod              153579  4 sr_mod,sg,sd_mod,libata
>>
>> I haven't a clue how I got it in this boot, and I built it.  And
>> apparently a make oldconfig, carefully done by hand (takes about an
>> hour 30 to do) is not capable of adding it to a .config BECAUSE it
>> does NOT exist in any of the arch/x86/configs/i386_defconfig's present
>> on this machine.
>
>It does not have to exist in any defconfig.  Those are just default
>config files and SATA_NV is not enabled by default, but you can still
>enable it.
>
>> Here is how I searched:
>>
>> gene@...ote:~/src/linux-3.0.69$ grep SATA_NV
>> arch/x86/configs/i386_defconfig gene@...ote:~/src/linux-3.0.69$ cd
>> ../linux-3.2.40
>> gene@...ote:~/src/linux-3.2.40$ grep SATA_NV
>> arch/x86/configs/i386_defconfig gene@...ote:~/src/linux-3.2.40$ cd
>> ../linux-3.4.36
>> gene@...ote:~/src/linux-3.4.36$ grep SATA_NV
>> arch/x86/configs/i386_defconfig gene@...ote:~/src/linux-3.4.36$ cd
>> ../linux-3.8.2
>> gene@...ote:~/src/linux-3.8.2$ grep SATA_NV
>> arch/x86/configs/i386_defconfig gene@...ote:~/src/linux-3.8.2$ cd
>> ../linux-3.8.3
>> gene@...ote:~/src/linux-3.8.3$ grep SATA_NV
>> arch/x86/configs/i386_defconfig gene@...ote:~/src/linux-3.8.3$ cd
>> ../linux-3.12.0
>> gene@...ote:~/src/linux-3.12.0$ grep SATA_NV
>> arch/x86/configs/i386_defconfig gene@...ote:~/src/linux-3.12.0$ cd
>> ../linux-3.12.6
>> gene@...ote:~/src/linux-3.12.6$ grep SATA_NV
>> arch/x86/configs/i386_defconfig gene@...ote:~/src/linux-3.12.6$ cd
>> ../linux-3.12.9
>> gene@...ote:~/src/linux-3.12.9$ grep SATA_NV
>> arch/x86/configs/i386_defconfig gene@...ote:~/src/linux-3.12.9$ cd
>> ../linux-3.13.1
>> gene@...ote:~/src/linux-3.13.1$ grep SATA_NV
>> arch/x86/configs/i386_defconfig gene@...ote:~/src/linux-3.13.1$ cd
>> ../linux-3.13.2
>> gene@...ote:~/src/linux-3.13.2$ grep SATA_NV
>> arch/x86/configs/i386_defconfig gene@...ote:~/src/linux-3.13.2$
>>
>> I've been fighting with this, intermittently for about 6 months.
>> Except for this 3.12.9 where I must have been holding my mouth right,
>> all the rest are boot failures because it can't find the boot drive
>> with so-and-so for a UUID. sata_nv is on the missing list, even in
>> this WORKing boots defconfig. "Working" however is a miss-statement,
>> no multimedia stuff was built.
>>
>> There has to be a rule I am violating, but even with Randy's D's help,
>> it is not becoming obvious.  FWIW libata references also can't be
>> found, but as can be seen, its in memory right now.
>
>libata is built whenever CONFIG_ATA is enabled.

I don't believe the help states that.

>> So please guys, what is the magic dependency that causes libata and
>> sata_nv to be included in a .config?
>
>The SATA_NV kconfig symbol depends on (requires) the following other
>kconfig symbols to be enabled:
>	ATA_SFF and ATA_BMDMA and PCI and ATA

I wrote down those deps from the make menuconfig help screen, they are as
stated.  I made sure with gedit and grep...

It gets to:

Early console decompressing the kernel
booting the kernel

Thats it, no disk activity, its hung.

.config for a 3.13.2 attached.

>If those are not enabled, then you will need to use 'make <some>config'
>to enabled them before you can enable SATA_NV.

Thanks Randy.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

View attachment ".config" of type "text/x-mpsub" (95996 bytes)