Date:	Mon, 17 Feb 2014 16:41:37 +0100
From:	"Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)" <mtk.manpages@...il.com>
To:	lkml <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
CC:	mtk.manpages@...il.com, Miklos Szeredi <miklos@...redi.hu>,
	Theodore T'so <tytso@....edu>, Christoph Hellwig <hch@....de>,
	Chris Mason <clm@...com>, Dave Chinner <david@...morbit.com>,
	Linux-Fsdevel <linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Al Viro <viro@...iv.linux.org.uk>,
	"J. Bruce Fields" <bfields@...i.umich.edu>,
	Yongzhi Pan <panyongzhi@...il.com>,
	"Michael Kerrisk (gmail)" <mtk.manpages@...il.com>
Subject: Update of file offset on write() etc. is non-atomic with I/O

Hello all,

A note from Yongzhi Pan about some of my own code led me to dig deeper
and discover behavior that is surprising and also seems to be a
fairly clear violation of POSIX requirements.

It appears that write() (and, presumably read() and other similar
system calls) are not atomic with respect to performing I/O and
updating the file offset behavior.

The problem can be demonstrated using the program below.
That program takes three arguments:

$ ./multi_writer num-children num-blocks block-size > somefile

It creates 'num-children' children, each of which writes 'num-blocks'
blocks of 'block-size' bytes to standard output; for my experiments,
stdout is redirected to a file. After all children have finished,
the parent inspects the size of the file written on stdout, calculates
the expected size of the file, and displays these two values, and
their difference on stderr.

Some observations:

* All children inherit the stdout file descriptor from the parent;
  thus the FDs refer to the same open file description, and therefore
  share the file offset.

* When I run this on a multi-CPU BSD systems, I get the expected result:

$ ./multi_writer 10 10000 1000 > g 2> run.log
$ ls -l g
-rw-------  1 mkerrisk  users  100000000 Jan 17 07:34 g

* Someone else tested this code for me on a Solaris system, and also got
  the expected result.

* On Linux, by contrast, we see behavior such as the following:

$ ./multi_writer 10 10000 1000 > g
Expected file size:  100000000
Actual file size:     16323000
Difference:           83677000
$ ls -l g
-rw-r--r--. 1 mtk mtk 16323000 Feb 17 16:05 g

Summary of the above output: some children are overwriting the output
of other children because output is not atomic with respect to updates
to the file offset.

For reference, POSIX.1-2008/SUSv4 Section XSI 2.9.7 says:

[[
2.9.7 Thread Interactions with Regular File Operations

All of the following functions shall be atomic with respect to each other
in the effects specified in POSIX.1-2008 when they operate on regular
files or symbolic links:

chmod()
pread()
read()
readv()
pwrite()
write()
writev()

If two threads each call one of these functions, each call shall either
see all of the specified effects of the other call, or none of them.
]]

(POSIX.1-2001 has similar text.)

This text is in one of the Threads sections, but it applies equally
to threads in different processes as to threads in the same process.

I've tested the code below on ext4, XFS, and BtrFS, on kernel 3.12 and a
number of other recent kernels, all with similar results, which suggests
the result is in the VFS layer. (Can it really be so simple as no locking
around pieces such as

                loff_t pos = file_pos_read(f.file);
                ret = vfs_write(f.file, buf, count, &pos);
                if (ret >= 0)
                        file_pos_write(f.file, pos);

in fs/read_write.c?)

I discovered this behavior after Yongzhi Pan reported some unexpected
behavior in some of my code that forked to create a parent and
child that wrote to the same file. In some cases, expected output
was not appearing. In other words, after a fork(), and in the absence
of any other synchronization technique, a parent and a child cannot
safely write to the same file descriptor without risking overwriting
each other's output. But POSIX requires this, and other systems seem
to guarantee it.

Am I correct to think there's a kernel problem here?

Thanks,

Michael

===

/* multi_writer.c
*/

#include <sys/wait.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <sys/fcntl.h>
#include <sys/stat.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <errno.h>

typedef enum { FALSE, TRUE } Boolean;

#define errExit(msg)    do { perror(msg); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); \
                        } while (0)

#define fatal(msg)      do { fprintf(stderr, "%s\n", msg); \
                             exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } while (0)

#define usageErr(msg, progName)        \
                        do { fprintf(stderr, "Usage: "); \
                             fprintf(stderr, msg, progName); \
                             exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } while (0)

int
main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
    char *buf;
    int j, k, nblocks, nchildren;
    size_t blocksize;
    struct stat sb;
//  int nchanges;
//  off_t pos;
    long long expected;

    if (argc < 4 || strcmp(argv[1], "--help") == 0)
        usageErr("%s num-children num-blocks block-size [O_APPEND-flag]\n",
                argv[0]);

    nblocks = atoi(argv[2]);
    blocksize = atoi(argv[3]);

    buf = malloc(blocksize + 1);
    if (buf == NULL)
        errExit("malloc");

    /* If a fourth command-line argument is specified, set the O_APPEND
       flag on stdout */

    if (argc > 4)
        if (fcntl(STDOUT_FILENO, F_SETFL, O_APPEND) == -1)
            errExit("fcntl-F_SETFL");

    nchildren = atoi(argv[1]);

    /* Create child processes that write blocks to stdout */

    for (j = 0; j < nchildren; j++) {
        switch(fork()) {
        case -1:
            errExit("fork");

        case 0: /* Each child writes nblocks * blocksize bytes to stdout */
//          nchanges = 0;

	    /* Put something distinctive in each child's buffer (in case
	       we want to analyze byte sequences in the output) */

	    for (k = 0; k < blocksize; k++)
		buf[k] = 'a' + getpid() % 26;

            for (k = 0; k < nblocks; k++) {
//              if (k > 0 && pos != lseek(STDOUT_FILENO, 0, SEEK_END))
//                  nchanges++;
                if (write(STDOUT_FILENO, buf, blocksize) != blocksize)
                    fatal("write");
//              pos = lseek(STDOUT_FILENO, 0, SEEK_END);
            }

//          fprintf(stderr, "%ld: nchanges = %d\n",
//                  (long) getpid(), nchanges);
            exit(EXIT_SUCCESS);

        default:
            break;      /* Parent falls through to create next child */
        }
    }

    /* Wait for all children to terminate */

    while (wait(NULL) > 0)
        continue;

    /* Compare final length of file against expected size */

    if (fstat(STDOUT_FILENO, &sb) == -1)
        errExit("fstat");

    expected =  blocksize * nblocks * nchildren;
    fprintf(stderr, "Expected file size: %10lld\n", expected);
    fprintf(stderr, "Actual file size:   %10lld\n", (long long) sb.st_size);
    fprintf(stderr, "Difference:         %10lld\n", expected - sb.st_size);

    exit(EXIT_SUCCESS);
}

--
Michael Kerrisk