Date:	Fri, 21 Feb 2014 12:18:51 -0800
From:	Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@...radead.org>
To:	Gene Heskett <gheskett@...v.com>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: progress, marching to the rear

On 02/20/2014 08:13 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> I finally found a keyboard I can use when the boots fails to the
> initramfs: prompt.  ps2 plug on it.
>
> From the messages it leaves on screen, it is NOT finding the drive plugged
> into the mobo SATA1 connector when I try to boot to a 3.13.1-2-3 kernel.

If the drive is just slow to spin up, you could try another kernel command line
option:
	rootdelay=30
or some other number of seconds to delay before attempting to mount the root fs.

> So just to verify I am looking in the right place in the /sys directory, I
> believe I was in drivers/pci/sata_nv when I took the pix now up on my web
> page.
>
> This is an ASUS M2N SLI Deluxe mobo, 8 Gigs of ram, phenom 9550 running
> slow at 2.1 Ghz.  This needs the sata_nv module to work with this hardware.
>
> There are 4 drives in this box, and they are all working just fine when
> booted to 3.12.9, but that pix I just posted to my web page in the link
> below, in the Genes-os9-stf/LCNC link looks like there are only 3, and the
> first one has been enumerated to pci 5:0. Then 5:1 and 5:2 if I am reading
> that right.  But that same location in the 3.12.9 boot also only shows 3
> "devices" so obviously I don't know what I am doing.  Again...

on a working good boot, what are the four drives listed as?

> So, when all I have is the initramfs: prompt, where in the /sys tree can I
> verify that all 4 drives are present and awake?

I see my single drive listed in /sys/block and /sys/dev/block.

Have you already tried something like taking the working 3.12.9 .config file and
just modifying it a few bits at a time until it either fails or you get what you
want?

--
~Randy