Date:	Thu, 27 Feb 2014 18:11:02 +0400
From:	Eugene Shatokhin <eugene.shatokhin@...alab.ru>
To:	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: [ANNOUNCE] KernelStrider 0.3

KernelStrider 0.3 has been released.

KernelStrider system can be used to detect data races in the Linux
kernel modules, especially the drivers involved in wired and wireless
networking. Currently, it works on x86 only. The code is under GPL v2
license.

KernelStrider instruments the kernel modules under analysis in runtime.
When the code of these modules is executed, KernelStrider collects
information about the memory locations accessed by that code, about the
functions called, etc. The collected data are passed to user space where
they can be analyzed by ThreadSanitizer (Google) [1] to reveal potential
races.

Most significant changes in version 0.3:
* Implemented compression of the output data with LZO to increase
throughput, etc.
* Provided a helper script (kedr.py) to simplify loading/unloading of
kernel-mode components.
* Applied several fixes in handling of NAPI callbacks and netdev operations.
* Fixed handling of recursive calls (such things can still be found in
some out-of-tree kernel modules).
* Fixed lockdep warnings in the handlers for alloc/free operations.

Downloads, tutorials, etc., are available at
http://code.google.com/p/kernel-strider/

Now that version 0.3 is out, I might finally find time to experiment
with compile-time instrumentation suggested by some of you many times
(in addition to the runtime instrumentation technique used in
KernelStrider now). In some future version, I also plan to make
KernelStrider part of KEDR framework [2], which I also maintain.

Suggestions, bug reports and other kinds of feedback are welcome, as usual.

Regards,
Eugene

[1] http://code.google.com/p/data-race-test/
[2] http://code.google.com/p/kedr/