Date:	Sun, 2 Mar 2014 10:34:38 -0500 (EST)
From:	Vince Weaver <vincent.weaver@...ne.edu>
To:	Andi Kleen <andi@...stfloor.org>
cc:	Steven Rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org>,
	Vince Weaver <vincent.weaver@...ne.edu>,
	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>,
	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
	Linux Kernel <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...hat.com>
Subject: Re: perf_fuzzer compiled for x32 causes reboot

On Sat, 1 Mar 2014, Andi Kleen wrote:

> Steven Rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org> writes:
> >
> > BTW, is the perf_fuzzer code posted somewhere? It sounds like it can be
> > really useful for us to do our own testing too.
>
> I believe it's part of trinity.
>
> http://codemonkey.org.uk/projects/trinity/
>
> Perhaps it should have a "ftracer fuzzer" too?

It's not part of trinity, it's a separate project that re-uses some
of trinity's codebase.

http://web.eece.maine.edu/~vweaver/projects/perf_events/fuzzer/

You can get the source as part of the perf_event_tests package
	https://github.com/deater/perf_event_tests

go into the fuzzer directory, run make, then "./perf_fuzzer".
You can also run the ./fast_repro.sh script instead, it's what I've
been using to track this kernel issue, although it tripped over the issue
a lot faster when compiled with -mx32 than it did when complied as native
x86_64.

I think the code as found in the git tree should be working, I made a lot
of changes when tracking this problem and I need to make sure I only check
in the proper ones and not let any weird debugging patches slip in.

I'm aware of at least two other WARN messages and possibly one or two
hard-lockup bugs in addition to the potential system reboot that can be
triggered by the fuzzer, it just takes a while to isolate these things.

Vince