Date:	Wed, 5 Mar 2014 14:17:54 +0000
From:	"Li, Bin (Bin)" <bin.bl.li@...atel-lucent.com>
To:	Paolo Bonzini <pbonzini@...hat.com>,
	"kvm@...r.kernel.org" <kvm@...r.kernel.org>
CC:	"Jatania, Neel (Neel)" <Neel.Jatania@...atel-lucent.com>,
	Avi Kiviti <avi@...hat.com>,
	Srivatsa Vaddagiri <vatsa@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
	"Peter Zijlstra" <a.p.zijlstra@...llo.nl>,
	Mike Galbraith <efault@....de>,
	"Chris Wright" <chrisw@...s-sol.org>,
	"ttracy@...hat.com" <ttracy@...hat.com>,
	"Nakajima, Jun" <jun.nakajima@...el.com>,
	"riel@...hat.com" <riel@...hat.com>
Subject: RE: Enhancement for PLE handler in KVM

Hello, Paolo,

We are using a customized embedded SMP OS as guest OS. It is not meaningful to post the guest OS code.
Also, there is no "performance numbers for common workloads" since there is no common workloads to compare with.
In our OS, there is still a big kernel lock to protect the kernel.

What we have observed from trace log ( collected via trace-cmd )
  - when 2+ vCPU from same VM being stacked on a pCPU
  - one of the above vCPU happened to be the lock holder and the other vCPU is in spin lock trying to get the kernel lock,
  - the vCPU in spin lock could still be boosted by vanilla ple handler incorrectly (current ple handler can yield in current PLE VM exist. But vCPU in spin loop becomes eligible to be "yield-to" in the next PLE VM exist. )
  - when the in-correct boosting happens, the vCPU in spin lock will run longer time on the pCPU and causing the lock holder vCPU having less time to run on pCPU since they are sharing the on same pCPU.
  - when the lock holder vCPU being scheduled on pCPU less enough, we observe the clock interrupt is issued the lock holder vCPU but being coalesced. This is the root cause of the system clock jitter in the guest OS

When we applied the hyper call in SMP guest OS and using KVM to boost the lock holder only, we can observe following thing with trace-cmd log:
  - when 2+ vCPU ( n and m ) from same VM being stacked on pCPU a
  - one of the above vCPU happened to be the lock holder and the other vCPU is in spin lock trying to get the kernel lock,
  - we observed two types of scheduling events
  - Type A:
     vCpu n is lock holder,  but being switched out. vCpu m is switched on to same pCpu a and doing spin loop trying to get into kernel state.
     after about 1ms, the lock holder vCpu n being schedule to other pCpu b and starting to run. Then LHP ( lock holder preemption) is resolved.

  - Type B:
     vCpu n holding lock, but being switched out. vCpu m is switched on to same pCpu a and doing spin loop to get into kernel state.
     after about 0.4ms ( biggest # is 2ms in the log I captured while running system test case), the vCpu n being switch back to pCpu a.
     then the vCpu n done its kernel jobs and released the kernel lock. Other vCpus getting the lock and system is happy after.

   Adding hyper call in every kernel enter and kernel exist is expensive.
   From the trace log collect from i7 running @ 3.0GHz , the cost per hyper is <1us. Since my measurement can only give us level result. I would consider it as 1us. Comparing the jitter caused by lock holder preemption, I think this cost is acceptable.

   The most important is, the guest OS real time performance becomes stable and predictable.

   At the end, we can give the guest OS an option if the guest OS really care about the real time performance. It is up to the guest OS to  decide use it or not. And there is a challenge in the guest OS to mark the lock correctly and accurately too.

Regarding to the " paravirtual ticketlock ", we did try the same idea in our embedded guest OS.
We got following results:

a) We implemented similar approach like linux "paravirtual ticketlock". The system clock jitter does get reduced a lot. But, the system clock jitter is still happening at lower rate. In a few hours system stress test, we still see the big jitter few times.

b) When using "paravirtual ticketlock", the threshold to decide "are we spinning too much" becomes an important factor need to be tuned to the final system case by case. What we found from the test is, different application running in our guest OS would require different threshold setting.

c) Again, with the enhancement patch in kvm and using hyper call in guest OS, the guest OS system clock jitter is not increasing over time. Also it is not application related either. And the max. jitter is very close to the pinning vCPU to pCPU case. ( no vCPU stack from same VM in the system - the best we can expect. )

Regards
Bin