Date:	Thu, 13 Mar 2014 18:13:46 +0100
From:	Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@...asonboard.com>
To:	Philipp Zabel <p.zabel@...gutronix.de>
Cc:	Grant Likely <grant.likely@...aro.org>,
	Greg KH <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>,
	Russell King - ARM Linux <linux@....linux.org.uk>,
	Mauro Carvalho Chehab <m.chehab@...sung.com>,
	Tomi Valkeinen <tomi.valkeinen@...com>,
	Guennadi Liakhovetski <g.liakhovetski@....de>,
	Rob Herring <robh+dt@...nel.org>,
	Kyungmin Park <kyungmin.park@...sung.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-media@...r.kernel.org,
	devicetree@...r.kernel.org,
	Sylwester Nawrocki <s.nawrocki@...sung.com>
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] Move device tree graph parsing helpers to drivers/of

Hi Philipp,

On Thursday 13 March 2014 12:08:16 Philipp Zabel wrote:

> so as I understand it, nobody is against dropping the double-linkage *if* we
> can agree on a way to recreate the backlinks in the kernel.

I'm not sure about "nobody", but even though it might not be my favorite
option I'd be OK with that.

> My current suggestion would be to parse the complete device tree into an
> internal graph structure once, at boot to achieve this. This code could
> look for the optional 'ports' node if and only if the parent device node
> contains #address-cells != <1> or #size-cells != <0> properties.

With backlinks in DT we can assume that, if a node is the target of a link, it
will be compatible with the of-graph bindings, and thus parse the node to
locate other ports and other links. This allows parsing the full graph without
help of individual drivers.

Without backlinks in DT we need to parse the full DT to reconstruct backlinks
in the kernel. One possible issue with that is that we can't know whether a
node implements the of-graph bindings. We can use the heuristic you've
described above, but I wonder if it could lead to problems. Grant pointed out
that the compatibility string defines what binding a node uses, and that we
can't thus look for properties randomly. I don't think there's a risk to
interpret an unrelated node as part of a graph though.

> People completely disagree about the direction the phandle links should
> point in. I am still of the opinion that the generic binding should describe
> just the topology, that the endpoint links in the kernel should represent an
> undirected graph and the direction of links should not matter at all for the
> generic graph bindings.

I would also not mandate a specific direction at the of-graph level and leave
it to subsystems (or possibly drivers) to specify the direction.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart