Date:	Thu, 27 Mar 2014 13:46:06 +0100
From:	Florian Weimer <fweimer@...hat.com>
To:	Andy Lutomirski <luto@...capital.net>,
	Jim Lieb <jlieb@...asas.com>,
	"Eric W. Biederman" <ebiederm@...ssion.com>,
	LSM List <linux-security-module@...r.kernel.org>,
	"Serge E. Hallyn" <serge@...onical.com>,
	Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org>,
	Linux FS Devel <linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org>,
	"Theodore Ts'o" <tytso@....edu>,
	bfields@...hat.com, Jeff Layton <jlayton@...hat.com>
Subject: Re: Thoughts on credential switching

On 03/27/2014 01:23 AM, Andy Lutomirski wrote:

> I propose the following set of new syscalls:
>
> int credfd_create(unsigned int flags): returns a new credfd that
> corresponds to current's creds.
>
> int credfd_activate(int fd, unsigned int flags): Change current's
> creds to match the creds stored in fd.  To be clear, this changes both
> the "subjective" and "objective" (aka real_cred and cred) because
> there aren't any real semantics for what happens when userspace code
> runs with real_cred != cred.

This interface does not address the long-term lack of POSIX compliance
in setuid and friends, which are required to be process-global and not
thread-specific (as they are on the kernel side).

glibc works around this by reserving a signal and running set*id on
every thread in a special signal handler.  This is just crass, and it is
likely impossible to restore the original process state in case of
partial failure.  We really need kernel support to perform the
process-wide switch in an all-or-nothing manner.