Date:	Thu, 3 Apr 2014 10:21:58 -0700
From:	"Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>
To:	Mathieu Desnoyers <mathieu.desnoyers@...icios.com>
Cc:	fweisbec@...il.com, peterz@...radead.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Promela/spin model for NO_HZ_FULL_SYSIDLE code

On Thu, Apr 03, 2014 at 02:57:55AM +0000, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> [...]

Well, this was the first time I had ever tried using LTL or never claims,
so you are ahead of me either way.  ;-)

> 1) When, at any point in the trail, a worker is setup, then we want to
>    be sure that at some point in the future the timer is necessarily
>    running:
>
> timer_active.ltl:
> [] (am_setup_0 -> (<> timekeeper_is_running))

OK, am_setup_0 implies that the timekeeper will eventually be running.
For two threads, this presumably becomes:

[] ((am_setup_0 || am_setup_1) -> (<> timekeeper_is_running))

> 2) When, at any point in the trail, a worker is not setup, then we
>    want to be sure that at some point in the future, either this
>    thread is setup again, or the timekeeper reaches a not running
>    state:
>
> timer_inactive.ltl:
> [] (!am_setup_0 -> (<> (!timekeeper_is_running || am_setup_0)))

And here the two-thread version should be something like this:

[] (!(am_setup_0 || am_setup_1) -> (<> (!timekeeper_is_running || am_setup_0 || am_setup_1)))

It would be nice if never claims allowed local variables, as that would
allow looping over the am_setup array.  Or maybe I just haven't figured
out how to tell spin that a given variable should not be considered to
be part of the global state.

> sysidle.sh:
> #!/bin/sh
>
> spin -f "!(`cat timer_active.ltl`)" > pan.ltl
> #spin -f "!(`cat timer_inactive.ltl`)" > pan.ltl
> spin -a -X -N  pan.ltl sysidle.spin
> #spin -DINJECT_MISSING_WAKEUP -a -X -N  pan.ltl sysidle.spin

I definitely didn't use "-X".  The "spin --help" says "-[XYZ] reserved
for use by xspin interface", so maybe it doesn't matter.  ;-)

> gcc -o pan pan.c
> ./pan -f -a -m1280000 -w22
>
> #view trail with:
> # spin -v -t -N pan.ltl sysidle.spin

Interesting.  I have put this into a separate branch.  May I use your
Signed-off-by?

I need to play around a bit more with LTL and progress labels!

							Thanx, Paul