Date:	Fri, 4 Apr 2014 10:26:42 -0700
From:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
To:	Mauro Carvalho Chehab <m.chehab@...sung.com>,
	Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@...asonboard.com>,
	Philipp Zabel <p.zabel@...gutronix.de>
Cc:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>,
	Tomi Valkeinen <tomi.valkeinen@...com>,
	Sylwester Nawrocki <s.nawrocki@...sung.com>
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL for v3.15-rc1] media updates

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 9:11 AM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
<m.chehab@...sung.com> wrote:

> PS.: You'll find some minor conflicts between this changeset and upstream,
> mainly due to some code that moved from V4L2 to OF subsystem.

That conflict was not at all minor, unless I were willing to do the
merge incorrectly and just drop all changes from one side. Which is
not how I do merges if I can at all avoid it.

The *trivial* merge would be to just take the
of_graph_get_next_endpoint() function as it existed in its new
location of drivers/of/base.c.

However, there were to clashing changes to that function (one in the
original location, one in the new moved location). They were:

 - b9db140c1e46: "[media] v4l: of: Support empty port nodes"
 - 4329b93b283c: "of: Reduce indentation in of_graph_get_next_endpoint"

and quite frankly, I think that the second commit was the much less
interesting of the two, so *that* was the one I felt I should drop.
But that made the merge a lot more interesting than just picking the
new location (because the new location didn't have the important
change). And those two changes clash to the point of being basically
mutually exclusive.

So I did the complex merge that I think is the right thing by hand.

However, I feel a bit bad about that more merge, because I have
absolutely no way to test my result. So I'm including here all the
relevant people wrt those two commits, and my note from my merge
message:

  NOTE! This merge effective drops commit 4329b93b283c ("of: Reduce
  indentation in of_graph_get_next_endpoint").

  The of_graph_get_next_endpoint() function was moved and renamed by
  commit fd9fdb78a9bf ("[media] of: move graph helpers from
  drivers/media/v4l2-core to drivers/of").  It was originally called
  v4l2_of_get_next_endpoint() and lived in the file
  drivers/media/v4l2-core/v4l2-of.c.

  In that original location, it was then fixed to support empty port
  nodes by commit b9db140c1e46 ("[media] v4l: of: Support empty port
  nodes"), and that commit clashes badly with the dropped "Reduce
  intendation" commit.  I had to choose one or the other, and decided
  that the "Support empty port nodes" commit was more important

So guys, can you please verify the end result? It looks sane to me,
but there's no good way for me to do even basic compile testing of the
OF code, so this was all done entirely blind. And hey, maybe you
disagree about the empty port nodes being the important case anyway.

Maybe I should have done the "wrong" merge just to avoid this issue,
but I do hate doing that.

                      Linus