Date:	Wed, 16 Apr 2014 17:29:09 +0900
From:	Namhyung Kim <namhyung@...il.com>
To:	Don Zickus <dzickus@...hat.com>
Cc:	acme@...nel.org, jolsa@...hat.com, eranian@...gle.com,
	Andi Kleen <andi@...stfloor.org>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC 0/5] perf: Create hist_entry groups

Hi Don,

On Tue, 15 Apr 2014 12:08:41 -0400, Don Zickus wrote:
> [...]
>> > all the interactions), hence the RFC.  I mostly tested with 'perf report
>> >  --stdio' and 'perf mem report --stdio'.
>> >
>> > Please let me know if this is an interesting idea to go forward with or not.
>>
>> I'd like to show you my previous two patchsets.
>>
>> The first one is for adding --field option and changing the sort
>> behavior little different [1].  I'm about to send a new version to the
>> list soon.
>>
>> I think what you want to do is sorting output by an order of sort keys
>> not just by the overhead.  So with the patchset applied, you can do it
>> like:
>>
>>   $ perf report --field overhead,pid,dso,sym --sort pid
>>
>>   # Overhead         Command:  Pid      Shared Object
>>   # ........  ....................  .................  ...........................
>>   #
>>       32.93%         swapper:    0  [kernel.kallsyms]  [k] intel_idle
>>        6.79%         swapper:    0  [kernel.kallsyms]  [k] enqueue_entity
>>        1.42%         swapper:    0  [kernel.kallsyms]  [k] update_sd_lb_stats
>>        1.30%         swapper:    0  [kernel.kallsyms]  [k] timekeeping_max_deferme
>>        1.18%         swapper:    0  [kernel.kallsyms]  [k] update_cfs_shares
>>        1.07%         swapper:    0  [kernel.kallsyms]  [k] __irq_work_run
>>        0.96%         swapper:    0  [kernel.kallsyms]  [k] rcu_check_callbacks
>>        0.64%         swapper:    0  [kernel.kallsyms]  [k] irqtime_account_process
>>        0.50%         swapper:    0  [kernel.kallsyms]  [k] int_sqrt
>>        0.47%         swapper:    0  [kernel.kallsyms]  [k] __tick_nohz_idle_enter
>>        0.47%         swapper:    0  [kernel.kallsyms]  [k] menu_select
>>        0.35%         swapper:    0  [kernel.kallsyms]  [k] run_timer_softirq
>>        0.16%         swapper:    0  [kernel.kallsyms]  [k] __perf_event_enable
>>        0.12%         swapper:    0  [kernel.kallsyms]  [k] rcu_eqs_exit_common.isr
>>        0.50%      watchdog/6:   37  [kernel.kallsyms]  [k] update_sd_lb_stats
>>        3.45%            Xorg: 1335  [kernel.kallsyms]  [k] schedule
>>        6.55%  gnome-terminal: 1903  libc-2.17.so       [.] __strcmp_sse42
>>        1.59%         firefox: 2137  [kernel.kallsyms]  [k] cpuacct_charge
>>        0.50%           emacs: 2473  emacs-24.1         [.] 0x000000000012241a
>>        0.38%           emacs: 2473  emacs-24.1         [.] 0x00000000000bfbf7
>>        0.31%           emacs: 2473  emacs-24.1         [.] 0x00000000001780dd
>>        0.29%           emacs: 2473  emacs-24.1         [.] 0x000000000002eb48
>>        4.40%     kworker/7:1:11028  [kernel.kallsyms]  [k] generic_exec_single
>>        1.30%     kworker/0:0:25667  [kernel.kallsyms]  [k] generic_exec_single
>>        5.93%     kworker/5:1:26447  [kernel.kallsyms]  [k] generic_exec_single
>>        2.06%     kworker/1:2:26653  [kernel.kallsyms]  [k] generic_exec_single
>>
>> As you can see the output is now sorted by pid value (and then overhead,
>> dso, sym if previous key resulted in a same value), so swapper (pid 0)
>> comes first and then watchdog/6, Xorg, and so on..
>
> This is probably a workable solution for our c2c tool.  I can play with

Cool. :)

>> But it's not guarantee that the hottest pid comes always first on the
>> output, it just sorted it by pid and it gets the result simply because
>> the system was idle mostly.  I think you can handle it in your c2c tool
>> properly though.
>>
>> Another one I'd like to introduce is somewhat similar to your work.
>> It's called hierarchy view and groups each entries according to sort
>> keys [2].  But it only supported --gtk output at that time (in order not
>> to make the hands dirty unnecessarily ;-) and (thus?) didn't get much
>> review.  But I think the idea is same and requires less change by just
>> adding few fields (rb_root) to hist_entry instead of new data structure.
>
> Looks promising.
>
> I keep thinking with all these hist_entry hacks to support flexibility, if
> we should just do some bigger changes to the design.  I was thinking along
> the lines of combining hist_entries and callchain stuff and maybe output
> changes into a unified heirarchy somehow.  This way we could re-use alot
> of code and throw away all the silly callchain special cases and just
> treat it like a sort_entry.
>
> I am not sure how that would work (or if really possible), but I was
> playing with ideas in my head based on Jiri's suggestion, of something
> like a tree layout where 'struct hists' would be sorta like a directory
> and would dictate the data type in the 'files' of 'struct hist_entry'.
>
> The idea was 'struct hists' would normally have a HIST data type and
> contain the specific sort_entry(ies) for its heirarchy.  The 'struct
> hist_entries' below it would all be the normal HIST data type.  For
> callchain support, there would be a 'struct hist' under each 'hist_entry'
> that would be of data type CALLCHAIN and its sort specific rules.
>
> This way we could add display a callchain anywhere in the heirarchy
> (instead of the normal last position).

I don't understand what you want to do - having callchains in the middle
is not intuitive to me.  Btw, you may want to check my cumulative (or
children) work which adds callchains into normal output.

https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/3/20/50

> If you then split the entries and entries_in out of struct hist and
> instead create two 'struct hists', one for input and one output.  Then
> perhaps we could create a data type GTK_OUT for a gtk specific output sort
> of entries.  This might help re-use/reduce some of the ui/ code.
>
> Anyway, it is probably way to much thrashing, just some ideas to help
> promote better data visibilty.
>
> I was enjoying the ideas of 'groups' and how it can help re-arrange the
> data and allow us to look at bottlenecks differently.  While --field and
> --hierarchy can achieve similar things, I am wondering if the output is
> still simple enough to interpret (and the commandline simple enough for
> users to utilize).
>
> My 2cents.  Time to jump on a plane.

Thanks for your feedback and suggestion.  Yes, making output more simple
and intuitive is very important.  I'll think about how to improve it
too.

Have a nice flight.

Thanks,
Namhyung