Date:	Wed, 30 Apr 2014 13:05:51 -0700
From:	Kees Cook <keescook@...gle.com>
To:	Andy Lutomirski <luto@...capital.net>
Cc:	Nathan Lynch <Nathan_Lynch@...tor.com>,
	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>,
	"x86@...nel.org" <x86@...nel.org>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: randomized placement of x86_64 vdso

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 11:30 AM, Andy Lutomirski <luto@...capital.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 11:13 AM, Kees Cook <keescook@...gle.com> wrote:

>>> I don't understand why the vDSO should be special here.  Either the
>>> standard logic for randomizing the placement of DSOs is good, in which
>>> case it should be good for the vDSO too, or I think we should fix it
>>> for everything.
>>
>> The issue is specific to the vdso randomizing-near-the-stack code;
>> regular mmap randomization is operating correctly. The reason for
>> randomizing stack, vdso, and mmap separately is to avoid correlation
>> of leaked offsets in one to the other regions.
>
> I understand why the offset from the stack to the vDSO should be
> randomized, and why the offset from the stack to, say, glibc should be
> randomized.  What I don't get is why the offset from glibc to the vDSO
> should be randomized but the offset from glibc to openssl should be
> deterministic.  Or am I misunderstanding?

Sure, I agree. In a perfect world, every DSO would have unrelated
offsets. Ignoring that for the moment, my take on this is that stack,
vDSO, and mmap have their locations tracked/exposed separately (SP
register, AUXV, and syscall return respectively). As such, they should
have separate randomization to avoid having any one method lead to the
discovery of all the offsets (i.e. the vDSO location is communicated
to the process in a different way than other DSOs that come into the
process via the mmap syscall).

As for per-mmap randomization, I would love this, but no one has
proposed algorithms that aren't worse than single base offset
randomization. This is especially true under 32-bit where attempting
to balance the randomization against fragmentation just leads to
non-random locations under certain situations/processes/DSOs, etc. It
could be worth revisiting this for 64-bit, but I feel like it's not a
high priority.

-Kees

--
Kees Cook