Date:	Tue, 6 May 2014 16:28:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:	Nicolas Pitre <nicolas.pitre@...aro.org>
To:	Sonny Rao <sonnyrao@...omium.org>
cc:	linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org,
	Douglas Anderson <dianders@...omium.org>,
	Olof <olofj@...omium.org>, Stephane Eranian <eranian@...gle.com>,
	Bhaskar Janakiraman <bjanakiraman@...omium.org>
Subject: Re: CPU performance counters not working on big.LITTLE switcher

On Mon, 5 May 2014, Sonny Rao wrote:

> On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 7:52 PM, Nicolas Pitre <nicolas.pitre@...aro.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, 5 May 2014, Sonny Rao wrote:
> >
> >> Hi, we have the problem today that cpu based performance counters don't
> >> work when we're using the big.LITTLE switcher on Exynos 5420, and it
> >> doesn't look like code exists to deal with this in the switcher.
> >>
> >> As it stands right now, if you put an A-15 or A-7 PMU node into your
> >> device-tree on an bl_switcher system it's very broken.  At the minimum, I
> >> think it should disable performance counters until there's some kind of
> >> proper implementation.
> >>
> >> I looked into trying to make this work, but it turned out to not be as
> >> simple as just context switching counters from A-15 to A-7.  The biggest
> >> problem is that the PMUs are not architecturally compatible.  There are
> >> different events and differing numbers of counters on these two cores.
> >>  There's also the tangential issue of representing this in the device tree,
> >> but that's far less important.
> >>
> >> My guess as to how to fix this is to create an "architectural" PMU which
> >> contains the intersection of the two performance monitor units with the
> >> minimum number of counters supported by either core (which in this case
> >> looks to be 4 on the A7).  However, I don't really have the bandwidth to
> >> work on this at  the moment.  I was mostly wondering, have other people run
> >> into this limitation and is there any sort of plan to work on it?
> >
> > The Linaro kernel release from a year ago or so contained a hack to make
> > PMUs available and cope with the switcher.
>
> Ok, any pointers?  Like I mentioned, if one enables the A15 Counters
> with an upstream kernel that's using the switcher, I think things are
> very broken, and since the switcher code is upstream, it seems like at
> a minimum it would be good to deal with that somehow.  The big hammer
> would be just to make hardware PMU support incompatible with the
> switcher support, but maybe there are better solutions.

The problem is not specific to the switcher though.  Suppose you have
all cores enabled and visible to the system.  In that case nothing
prevents a task from being migrated around and therefore be subject to
different PMUs already.

> > However, the ultimate solution is to add multi-PMU support in a generic
> > way to the kernel and let user space see both A15 and A7 counters.  It
> > is then up to the analysis tools to consolidate (some of) them if
> > wanted.
>
> How is that meant to work?  I think you'd need the generic perf-event
> subsystem to properly support multiple CPU-type PMUs, which it
> currently does not.

Exact.  That's where a proper solution should start.

> In the case of a system using the switcher, would
> the events on a particular logical "cpu" just get inter-mingled from
> the different cores?  I think it would be difficult to make sense of
> data like that without extra information about when the logical cpu
> switched from one type to the other.

Sure, but that is not much different from a task migrating across
different clusters even without the switcher.  The idea in that case
would be for both PMU types to be tracked.  That way you'd get A7-cycles
and A15-cycles, A7-cache_miss and A15_cache_miss, etc.  If you don't
care about the split then the reporting tool would just have to sum
them, but having split results might be very helpful.