Date:	Mon, 2 Jun 2014 18:20:27 +0200
From:	Johan Hovold <jhovold@...il.com>
To:	Mike Remski <mremski@...ualink.net>
Cc:	Johan Hovold <jhovold@...il.com>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-usb@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: ftdi_sio BUG: NULL pointer dereference

On Mon, Jun 02, 2014 at 12:02:40PM -0400, Mike Remski wrote:
> On 06/02/2014 11:40 AM, Johan Hovold wrote:
> > [ Please avoid top-posting. ]
> >
> > On Mon, Jun 02, 2014 at 11:16:11AM -0400, Mike Remski wrote:
> >> Thanks Johan, that's why I looked at the cross references for ftdi_sio.c
> >> over on
> >> http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/drivers/usb/serial/ftdi_sio.c,
> >> latest version it's showing is 3.14.  It appears that the ftdi_sio code
> >> is largely the same as in 2.6.32, particularly in the
> >> ftdi_set_max_packet_size() function.
> > Lots of things have changed since v2.6.32 and not just in the driver
> > itself but in all the infrastructure it relies on.
> >
> >> I'm trying to verify if the "number of endpoints is 0" is a valid
> >> situation.
> > No, that is not normal, but it should not crash the driver if it's a
> > hardware issue. What is the lsusb -v output of your device (make sure
> > the ftdi_sio driver isn't loaded when connecting the device).
> >
> > And what happens if you plug it into a machine running a recent kernel?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Johan
> Thanks Johan;  sorry for top posting.
> An even more ancient kernel (2.6.18) has v1.4.3 of the ftdi_sio.c and I
> do not see this problem.  In v1.4.3,
> ftdi_sio_attach() is doing the work that is now in
> ftdi_sio_port_probe(), but 1.4.3 does not have the
> ftdi_set_max_packet_size() code.  The device works fine under 2.6.18.  I
> have to see if I can scrounge up
> a machine running a later kernel (other than my desktop).

Your desktop should be just fine for testing.

> Should have included this earlier but its unmodified CentOs 6.0 and 6.4,
> kernel is:
>
> Linux nicA91A84 2.6.32-71.29.1.el6.i686 #1 SMP Tue May 10 17:35:05 CDT
> 2011 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>

> lsusb -v cut for the device in question.
>
> Bus 005 Device 003: ID 1fdf:1001
> Device Descriptor:
>    bLength                18
>    bDescriptorType         1
>    bcdUSB               2.00
>    bDeviceClass          239 Miscellaneous Device
>    bDeviceSubClass         2 ?
>    bDeviceProtocol         1 Interface Association
>    bMaxPacketSize0        64
>    idVendor           0x1fdf
>    idProduct          0x1001
>    bcdDevice            0.03
>    iManufacturer           1 Sepura
>    iProduct                2 Colour Console
>    iSerial                 0
>    bNumConfigurations      1
>    Configuration Descriptor:
>      bLength                 9
>      bDescriptorType         2
>      wTotalLength          134
>      bNumInterfaces          4
>      bConfigurationValue     1
>      iConfiguration          0
>      bmAttributes         0xc0
>        Self Powered
>      MaxPower              100mA
>      Interface Association:
>        bLength                 8
>        bDescriptorType        11
>        bFirstInterface         0
>        bInterfaceCount         2
>        bFunctionClass          2 Communications
>        bFunctionSubClass       2 Abstract (modem)

Is this indeed the right device? Then you seem to be using the wrong
driver as this is no FTDI device, but a CDC-ACM modem-class device which
should be driven by the cdc-acm driver.

>        bFunctionProtocol       0 None
>        iFunction               0
>      Interface Descriptor:
>        bLength                 9
>        bDescriptorType         4
>        bInterfaceNumber        0
>        bAlternateSetting       0
>        bNumEndpoints           1
>        bInterfaceClass         2 Communications
>        bInterfaceSubClass      2 Abstract (modem)
>        bInterfaceProtocol      0 None
>        iInterface              0
>        CDC Header:
>          bcdCDC               1.10
>        CDC Call Management:
>          bmCapabilities       0x01
>            call management
>          bDataInterface          1
>        CDC ACM:
>          bmCapabilities       0x02
>            line coding and serial state
>        CDC Union:
>          bMasterInterface        0
>          bSlaveInterface         1
>        Endpoint Descriptor:
>          bLength                 7
>          bDescriptorType         5
>          bEndpointAddress     0x83  EP 3 IN
>          bmAttributes            3
>            Transfer Type            Interrupt
>            Synch Type               None
>            Usage Type               Data
>          wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
>          bInterval              10
>      Interface Descriptor:
>        bLength                 9
>        bDescriptorType         4
>        bInterfaceNumber        1
>        bAlternateSetting       0
>        bNumEndpoints           2
>        bInterfaceClass        10 CDC Data
>        bInterfaceSubClass      0 Unused
>        bInterfaceProtocol      0
>        iInterface              0
>        Endpoint Descriptor:
>          bLength                 7
>          bDescriptorType         5
>          bEndpointAddress     0x01  EP 1 OUT
>          bmAttributes            2
>            Transfer Type            Bulk
>            Synch Type               None
>            Usage Type               Data
>          wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
>          bInterval               0
>        Endpoint Descriptor:
>          bLength                 7
>          bDescriptorType         5
>          bEndpointAddress     0x82  EP 2 IN
>          bmAttributes            2
>            Transfer Type            Bulk
>            Synch Type               None
>            Usage Type               Data
>          wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
>          bInterval               0
>      Interface Association:
>        bLength                 8
>        bDescriptorType        11
>        bFirstInterface         2
>        bInterfaceCount         2
>        bFunctionClass          2 Communications
>        bFunctionSubClass       2 Abstract (modem)
>        bFunctionProtocol       0 None
>        iFunction               0
>      Interface Descriptor:
>        bLength                 9
>        bDescriptorType         4
>        bInterfaceNumber        2
>        bAlternateSetting       0
>        bNumEndpoints           0

The third interface lacks endpoints and crashes the ftdi_sio driver.
This shouldn't happen (even if you're forcing the wrong driver to bind),
so I'll fix it up if still broken in v3.15-rc.

Thanks,
Johan