Date:	Tue, 15 Jul 2014 12:08:07 -0700
From:	Guenter Roeck <linux@...ck-us.net>
To:	Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@...radead.org>
Cc:	Stephen Rothwell <sfr@...b.auug.org.au>,
	linux-next@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the v4l-dvb tree

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 03:08:01PM -0300, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Hi Guenter,
>
> Em Tue, 15 Jul 2014 15:55:47 +1000
> Stephen Rothwell <sfr@...b.auug.org.au> escreveu:
>
> > Hi Guenter,

> Sorry, it was merged there by mistake. I had to apply that quick hack
> to be able check if everything was ok on my tree before pushing it
> upstream (as I do my tests with W=1). Without that hack, it is almost
> impossible to see anything at the compilation logs, as it generates
> hundreds of warnings like:
>
> In file included from include/linux/i2c.h:31:0,
>                  from drivers/staging/media/go7007/go7007-fw.c:31:
> include/linux/sched.h:875:25: warning: type qualifiers ignored on function return type [-Wignored-qualifiers]
>  static inline const int cpu_smt_flags(void)
>                          ^
> include/linux/sched.h:882:25: warning: type qualifiers ignored on function return type [-Wignored-qualifiers]
>  static inline const int cpu_core_flags(void)
>                          ^
> include/linux/sched.h:1002:21: warning: type qualifiers ignored on function return type [-Wignored-qualifiers]
>  typedef const int (*sched_domain_flags_f)(void);
>                      ^
>
> even when compiling just drivers/media and drivers/staging/media.

Yes, I know, I had the same problem with my hwmon and watchdog builds.
I ended up adding code to my test scripts to specifically ignore
those warnings. Of course, that may accidentially remove real warnings,
but it is still better than drowning _all_ warnings in the noise.

> > > Do you mean b6220ad66 (sched: Fix compiler warnings) ? I thought that was accepted
> > > a week or so ago.
> >
> > That is in the tip tree and includes the fixups to powerpc and arm.  I
> > don't merge the tip tree till well after the v4l-dvb tree.  The merge
> > in the v4l-dvb tree included only the change to include/linus/sched.h
> > and neither parent fo that merge was based on the tip tree ...
> >
> Stephen,
>
> Do you know if/when this patch will be merged upstream? It doesn't
> seem to be at 2.6.16-rc5. Otherwise, I'll likely cherry-pick it on
	s/2.16/3.16/
> my trees, as the lack of this fixup is making hard for me to check
> if a media tree patch isn't introducing new warnings.

Only queued for 3.17 as far as I can see, and not scheduled for 3.16.

Guenter