Date:	Mon, 28 Jul 2014 12:19:52 -0400
From:	Austin S Hemmelgarn <ahferroin7@...il.com>
To:	Nick Krause <xerofoify@...il.com>
CC:	"linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org" <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	"linux-btrfs@...r.kernel.org SYSTEM list:BTRFS FILE"
	<linux-btrfs@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Multi Core Support for compression in compression.c

On 2014-07-28 11:57, Nick Krause wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 11:13 AM, Nick Krause <xerofoify@...il.com>
> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 6:10 AM, Austin S Hemmelgarn
>> <ahferroin7@...il.com> wrote:

>>> I wouldn't say that I am a BTRFS developer (power user maybe?),
>>> but I would definitely say that parallelizing compression on
>>> writes would be a good idea too (especially for things like
>>> lz4, which IIRC is either in 3.16 or in the queue for 3.17).
>>> Both options would be a lot of work, but almost any performance
>>> optimization would.  I would almost say that it would provide a
>>> bigger performance improvement to get BTRFS to intelligently
>>> stripe reads and writes (at the moment, any given worker thread
>>> only dispatches one write or read to a single device at a
>>> time, and any given write() or read() syscall gets handled by
>>> only one worker).
>>>

>> I will look into this idea and see if I can do this for writes.
>> Regards Nick
>
> Austin, Seems since we don't want to release the cache for inodes
> in order to improve writes if are going to use the page cache. We
> seem to be doing this for writes in end_compressed_bio_write for
> standard pages and in end_compressed_bio_write. If we want to cache
> write pages why are we removing then ? Seems like this needs to be
> removed in order to start off. Regards Nick

I'm not entirely sure, it's been a while since I went exploring in the
page-cache code.  My guess is that there is some reason that you and I
aren't seeing that we are trying for write-around semantics, maybe one
of the people who originally wrote this code could weigh in?  Part of
this might be to do with the fact that normal page-cache semantics
don't always work as expected with COW filesystems (cause a write goes
to a different block on the device than a read before the write would
have gone to).  It might be easier to parallelize reads first, and
then work from that (and most workloads would probably benefit more
from the parallelized reads).

Download attachment "smime.p7s" of type "application/pkcs7-signature" (2967 bytes)