Date:	Mon, 4 Aug 2014 21:39:56 +0900
From:	Sergey Senozhatsky <sergey.senozhatsky@...il.com>
To:	Sami Kerola <kerolasa@....fi>
Cc:	util-linux@...r.kernel.org,
	Timofey Titovets <nefelim4ag@...il.com>,
	Karel Zak <kzak@...hat.com>, Minchan Kim <minchan@...nel.org>,
	Nitin Gupta <ngupta@...are.org>,
	Jerome Marchand <jmarchan@...hat.com>,
	Sergey Senozhatsky <sergey.senozhatsky@...il.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: zram: device management utility needed

Cc Jerome

Hello,

my quick thoughts on the topic. first, I'm not against, and we might have
something like this one day, but...

On (07/30/14 00:14), Sami Kerola wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Not so long ago Timofey has reached both util-linux[1] and kernel[2]
> contributors with intention to make zram device management too.  I think
> the proposal is good, and there should be distribution independent tool
> like that.  Also such command fits fairly well to a scope of util-linux
> package.  But a tool is only as good as kernel support of it is.  This
> mail is a bit about both.
>
> Existing proposal for zramctl[3], wrote by Timofey, does what I would
> call great starting point.  It can resize zram device, select algorithm,
> and set number of threads.  Unfortunately it cannot create or remove zram
> devices.
>
> The zram devices are not created by any sort of equipment appearing in a
> bus so an method of creating new or removing existing devices will be
> needed.  When the zram module is loaded it should create
> /dev/zram-control device, that responds to ioctl() calls[4].  The calls
> could be similar with /dev/loop-control[5], that allow adding or removing
> specified device, and discover adding a free device.
>
> This proposal would not affect the current initialization of the zram
> devices[6].  It would be an addition to manage zram devices after kernel
> module is loaded, of course each device separately and individually.  At
> the moment adding a device requires removing the existing devices[7],
> which can mean data loss, and at least unnecessary hassle when performing
> a device addition task.

well, run-time data loss, assuming that fs has failed to read a page,
because e.g. zram has mistakenly discarded it, I believe, is out of this
topic. any other type of data loss is out of zram design. whenever user
decides to umount/reboot/etc., it's his/her sole responsibility to keep
the data, zram is not meant to help here.

uninitialised or reset (when unneeded) device *must* be almost free:
there are no zspool, fs, compression backend, etc. which means that
one can pre-allocated as many devices as he needs and init/reset devices
whenever required.

so the problem seems to be "we can do A, but it doesn't look very
convenient", rather than "we can't do A".

	-ss