Date:	Mon, 04 Aug 2014 09:46:26 -0700
From:	ebiederm@...ssion.com (Eric W. Biederman)
To:	Richard Weinberger <richard.weinberger@...il.com>
Cc:	Richard Weinberger <richard@....at>, Ram Pai <linuxram@...ibm.com>,
	Al Viro <viro@...iv.linux.org.uk>,
	Christoph Hellwig <hch@...radead.org>,
	Paul McKenney <paulmck@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
	Jeff Mahoney <jeffm@...e.com>, sahne@...0.at,
	"linux-kernel\@vger.kernel.org" <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: MNT_DETACH and mount namespace issue

Richard Weinberger <richard.weinberger@...il.com> writes:

> On Sat, Aug 2, 2014 at 12:09 AM, Eric W. Biederman
> <ebiederm@...ssion.com> wrote:
>> Richard Weinberger <richard@....at> writes:

>>> Hmm, with the root subtree shared by default this policy will be problematic and
>>> lead to problems.
>>> As I observe on openSUSE 13.1.
>>>
>>> Al, what do you think?
>>
>> I have a pending patchset that causes the rmdir to cause all of the
>> mounts to go away.  It has passed review and has not been merged only
>> because of stack overflow concerns (which I have not had time to fully
>> address).
>>
>> Sigh.  It badly breaks unix semantics for rmdir unlink with no mounts in
>> the local namespace to fail, and it introduces as denial of service
>> attack from unprivielged users.
>
> Thanks for the pointer!
> I fear your patch series is nothing we can easily feed into -stable.
> Is this really the only acceptable solution?

I am not really certain.  What I know is one of these days I need to
take the time and get that merged.  It isn't going to be in 3.17
unfortunately :(

What I do know is if you are asking questions about sane semantics my
patch and the approach it takes feeds in.

It sounds like your problem is with lazy recursive unmounts not being
propogated because there is a chance that in the destination there might
be something mounted on top.

> The thing is, users get already bitten by that.

The issue I am dealing with has been biting users for years.
as root rm -rf dir failing with EBUSY because of a stale process in
the mount namespace is pretty horrid.

> i.e. run openSUSE's KIWI tool on a machine where a systemd service
> with PrivateTmp=yes is installed
> and you'll end up with a stale mount point.
> KIWI creates a chroot, populates /proc, lazily unmounts it later and
> then fails to remove the temporary chroot directory
> because of EBUSY.

Hmm.  That problem does sound familiar.

Is the problem oversharing?  Is the problem that the mount of /proc in
the chroot directory is propogating into other mount namespaces that
don't care?

If the problem is over propogating I would argue that KIWI needs to
use a mount namespace instead of a chroot and to tweak the mount
namespace so the mount of /proc simply does not leak out.

Not that the kernel doesn't need to be fixed but that a design where
mounts propogate everywhere is a problem in userspace anyway, and it is
likely going to only need to be a handful of lines of code to fix
userspace cleanly.  While the kernel fix or fixes are going to require a
bit more time.

Eric