Date:	Thu, 14 Aug 2014 10:35:35 +1000
From:	Stephen Rothwell <sfr@...b.auug.org.au>
To:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>
Cc:	linux-next@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: linux-next: problem importing the akpm-current tree

Hi Andrew,

On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 10:27:54 +1000 Stephen Rothwell <sfr@...b.auug.org.au> wrote:

> While importing mmotm 2014-08-13-14-29, I get the following:
>
> $ git am --patch-format=mbox ../mmotm/broken-out/drivers-gpu-drm-nouveau-fix-build.patch
> Applying: drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau: fix build
> error: patch failed: drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau/core/include/nvif/unpack.h:1
> error: drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau/core/include/nvif/unpack.h: patch does not apply
> Patch failed at 0001 drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau: fix build
>
> the problem is that the files altered by that patch are symlinks in the
> git tree and the patch tries to turn them into real files with #includes
> of the symlink target.
>
> I skipped the patch and I guess your problem arose from applying a git
> patch to a non git tree which created real files whose contents were
> just the symlink target names.

Yeah, its your origin.patch ... which is produced by git and includes
the symlinks (search for "new file mode 120000"), but quilt applied
with patch.  I don't actually apply that patch when I import your tree,
I merge the appropriate part of Linus's tree and so in this case get
the actual symlinks.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    sfr@...b.auug.org.au

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (820 bytes)