Date:	Sat, 23 Aug 2014 16:22:14 +0400
From:	Cyrill Gorcunov <gorcunov@...il.com>
To:	Oleg Nesterov <oleg@...hat.com>
Cc:	Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org>, Tejun Heo <tj@...nel.org>,
	Andrew Vagin <avagin@...nvz.org>,
	"Eric W. Biederman" <ebiederm@...ssion.com>,
	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>,
	Serge Hallyn <serge.hallyn@...onical.com>,
	Pavel Emelyanov <xemul@...allels.com>,
	Vasiliy Kulikov <segoon@...nwall.com>,
	KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki <kamezawa.hiroyu@...fujitsu.com>,
	Michael Kerrisk <mtk.manpages@...il.com>,
	Julien Tinnes <jln@...gle.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: + prctl-pr_set_mm-introduce-pr_set_mm_map-operation-v3.patch
 added to -mm tree

On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 01:53:02PM +0200, Oleg Nesterov wrote:

> > It should protect from allocation/devetion/mergin of another vma. IOW when
> > I lookup for vma I need to be sure it exist and won't disappear at least
> > while I validate it.
>
> plus you need mmap_sem (at least for reading) when you update mm_struct,
> this is clear.
>
> My question was why the whole function should be called under mmap_sem?
> It could take it only around find_vma() + check(RLIMIT_STACK) ?

Stricktly speaking yes, but don't forget we might need to update
exe::file as well which requires lock to be taken. So it is simplier
to take the read-lock for the whole function.

> In fact I do not think we need this vma_stack/RLIMIT_STACK check at all.
> It buys nithing and looks strange. RLIMIT_STACK is mostly for self-debugging,
> to catch the, say, unlimited recursion. An application can trivially
> create a stack region of arbitrary size. I'd seriously suggest to remove it.

Look, allocate stack for self is not a problem (we do this for our parasite
code which executes inside dumpee address space) but RLIMIT_STACK check is
present in ipc shmem so I think we still need this check in a sake of
consistency. (note this code doesn't require any special caps so I need
to use as much checks/tests as possible).

> > > Again, could you explain this task_lock() ?
> >
> > It is used for serialization access to saved_auxv, ie when we fill it
> > with new data the other reader (via procfs interface) should wait until
> > we finish.
>
> But proc_pid_auxv() doesn't take this lock? And even if it did, this lock
> can't help. task_lock() is per-thread, and multiple threads (including
> CLONE_VM tasks, vfork() for example) can share the same ->mm.
>
> This certainly doesn't look right.

It takes this lock but indeed this won't help much. Looks like I need
to use cred_guard_mutex instead of task_lock here, no?