Date:	Sat, 6 Sep 2014 07:29:56 +0900
From:	Tejun Heo <tj@...nel.org>
To:	Dmitry Torokhov <dmitry.torokhov@...il.com>
Cc:	"Luis R. Rodriguez" <mcgrof@...not-panic.com>,
	Wu Zhangjin <falcon@...zu.com>, Takashi Iwai <tiwai@...e.de>,
	Arjan van de Ven <arjan@...ux.intel.com>,
	Oleg Nesterov <oleg@...hat.com>, hare@...e.com,
	Tetsuo Handa <penguin-kernel@...ove.sakura.ne.jp>,
	Joseph Salisbury <joseph.salisbury@...onical.com>,
	Benjamin Poirier <bpoirier@...e.de>,
	Santosh Rastapur <santosh@...lsio.com>,
	Kay Sievers <kay@...y.org>,
	One Thousand Gnomes <gnomes@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>,
	Tim Gardner <tim.gardner@...onical.com>,
	Pierre Fersing <pierre-fersing@...rref.org>,
	Nagalakshmi Nandigama <nagalakshmi.nandigama@...gotech.com>,
	Praveen Krishnamoorthy <praveen.krishnamoorthy@...gotech.com>,
	Sreekanth Reddy <sreekanth.reddy@...gotech.com>,
	Abhijit Mahajan <abhijit.mahajan@...gotech.com>,
	Casey Leedom <leedom@...lsio.com>,
	Hariprasad S <hariprasad@...lsio.com>,
	MPT-FusionLinux.pdl@...gotech.com,
	Linux SCSI List <linux-scsi@...r.kernel.org>,
Subject: Re: [RFC v2 3/6] kthread: warn on kill signal if not OOM

Hello, Dmitry.

On Fri, Sep 05, 2014 at 11:10:03AM -0700, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> I do not agree that it is actually user-visible change: generally speaking you
> do not really know if device is there or not. They come and go. Like I said,
> consider all permutations, with hot-pluggable buses, deferred probing, etc,

It is for storage devices which always have guaranteed synchronous
probing on module load and well-defined probing order.  Sure, modern
setups are a lot more dynamic but I'm quite certain that there are
setups in the wild which depend on storage driver loading being
synchronous.  We can't simply declare one day that such behavior is
broken and break, most likely, their boots.

Thanks.

--
tejun