Date:	Wed, 17 Sep 2014 21:04:00 -0700
From:	Greg Thelen <gthelen@...gle.com>
To:	Vladimir Davydov <vdavydov@...allels.com>
Cc:	Suleiman Souhlal <suleiman@...gle.com>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Johannes Weiner <hannes@...xchg.org>,
	Michal Hocko <mhocko@...e.cz>, Hugh Dickins <hughd@...gle.com>,
	Kamezawa Hiroyuki <kamezawa.hiroyu@...fujitsu.com>,
	Motohiro Kosaki <Motohiro.Kosaki@...fujitsu.com>,
	Dave Chinner <david@...morbit.com>,
	Glauber Costa <glommer@...il.com>, Tejun Heo <tj@...nel.org>,
	Pavel Emelianov <xemul@...allels.com>,
	Konstantin Khorenko <khorenko@...allels.com>,
	LKML-MM <linux-mm@...ck.org>,
	LKML-cgroups <cgroups@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC] memory cgroup: weak points of kmem accounting design

On Tue, Sep 16 2014, Vladimir Davydov wrote:

> Hi Suleiman,
>
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 12:13:33PM -0700, Suleiman Souhlal wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 3:44 AM, Vladimir Davydov
>> <vdavydov@...allels.com> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I'd like to discuss downsides of the kmem accounting part of the memory
>> > cgroup controller and a possible way to fix them. I'd really appreciate
>> > if you could share your thoughts on it.
>> >
>> > The idea lying behind the kmem accounting design is to provide each
>> > memory cgroup with its private copy of every kmem_cache and list_lru
>> > it's going to use. This is implemented by bundling these structures with
>> > arrays storing per-memcg copies. The arrays are referenced by css id.
>> > When a process in a cgroup tries to allocate an object from a kmem cache
>> > we first find out which cgroup the process resides in, then look up the
>> > cache copy corresponding to the cgroup, and finally allocate a new
>> > object from the private cache. Similarly, on addition/deletion of an
>> > object from a list_lru, we first obtain the kmem cache the object was
>> > allocated from, then look up the memory cgroup which the cache belongs
>> > to, and finally add/remove the object from the private copy of the
>> > list_lru corresponding to the cgroup.
>> >
>> > Though simple it looks from the first glance, it has a number of serious
>> > weaknesses:
>> >
>> >  - Providing each memory cgroup with its own kmem cache increases
>> >    external fragmentation.
>>
>> I haven't seen any evidence of this being a problem (but that doesn't
>> mean it doesn't exist).
>
> Actually, it's rather speculative. For example, if we have say a hundred
> of extra objects per cache (fragmented or in per-cpu stocks) of size 256
> bytes, then for one cache the overhead would be 25K, which is
> negligible. Now if there are thousand cgroups using the cache, we have
> to pay 25M, which is noticeable. Anyway, to estimate this exactly, one
> needs to run a typical workload inside a cgroup.
>

>> >  - SLAB isn't ready to deal with thousands of caches: its algorithm
>> >    walks over all system caches and shrinks them periodically, which may
>> >    be really costly if we have thousands active memory cgroups.
>>
>> This could be throttled.
>
> It could be, but then we'd have more objects in per-cpu stocks, which
> means more memory overhead.
>

>> >  - Caches may now be created/destroyed frequently and from various
>> >    places: on system cache destruction, on cgroup offline, from a work
>> >    struct scheduled by kmalloc. Synchronizing them properly is really
>> >    difficult. I've fixed some places, but it's still desperately buggy.
>>
>> Agreed.
>>
>> >  - It's hard to determine when we should destroy a cache that belongs to
>> >    a dead memory cgroup. The point is both SLAB and SLUB implementations
>> >    always keep some pages in stock for performance reasons, so just
>> >    scheduling cache destruction work from kfree once the last slab page
>> >    is freed isn't enough - it will normally never happen for SLUB and
> [...]

I've found per memcg per cache type stats useful in answering "why is my
container oom?"  While these are kernel allocations, it is common for
user space operations to cause these allocations (e.g. lots of open file
descriptors).  So I don't specifically need per memcg slabinfo formatted
data, but at the least a per memcg per cache type active object count
would be very useful.  Thus I imagine each memcg would have an array of
slab cache types each with per-cpu active object counters.  Per-cpu is
used to avoid trashing those counters between cpus as objects are
allocated and freed.

As you say only memcg shrinkable cache types would need list heads.  I
assume these per memcg shrinkable object list heads would be per cache
type per cpu list heads for cache performance.  Allocation of a dentry
today uses the normal slab management structures.  In this proposal I
suspect the dentry would be dual indexed: once in the global slab/slub
dentry lru and once in the per memcg dentry list.  If true, this might
be a hot path regression allocation speed regression.

Do you have a shrinker design in mind?  I suspect this new design would
involve a per memcg dcache shrinker which grabs a big per-memcg dcache
lock while walking the dentry list.  The classic per superblock
shrinkers would not used for memcg shrinking.