Date:	Tue, 23 Sep 2014 21:58:08 +0400
From:	Nikita Yushchenko <nyushchenko@....rtsoft.ru>
To:	devicetree@...r.kernel.org
CC:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	Gennady Kuznetsov <kuznetsovg@....rtsoft.ru>,
	Aleksey Makarov <amakarov@....rtsoft.ru>
Subject: Device tree vs hardware configurations

Hi

I'm currently forward-porting a BSP for imx6-based custom board from
pre-devicetree kernel to modern kernel.

In old BSP there was a board setup file, that registered all board's
devices. For new BSP, I need to replace that with device tree based
solution.

However, old BSP used conditional code to register devices differently
based on GPIO inputs and on kernel command line. This approach was used to

- handle board's jumper that switches SPI CS lines: current jumper
setting is available over gpio, depending on that old BSP registered
chips differently,

- handle different i2c connections on different board revisions: board
has 5 i2c busses with quite a few devices connected, these busses are
routed to different hardware busses on different board revisions, board
revision could be read over gpios.

- handle different possible display connections (lvds vs lcd, 6bit vs
8bit hw interface) based on kernel command line options

- handle different possible camera connections by registered camera
differently based on kernel command line option

... and more,

Device tree describes hardware unconditionally. I already have to
provide 2 dts files for imx6q and imx6dl based setups (both just include
a common dtsi) ...  But providing separate dts file for every possible
hardware configuration will result into 2^n device trees, which is
inconvenient visible regression against old BSP that "just worked" on
all hardware configurations.

Is there a sane way to handle hardware configurations like above in
device tree based kernel?

Nikita Yushchenko