Date:	Tue, 14 Oct 2014 22:01:52 +1100 (AEDT)
From:	James Morris <jmorris@...ei.org>
To:	Paul Moore <pmoore@...hat.com>
cc:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>,
	LSM List <linux-security-module@...r.kernel.org>,
	Stephen Rothwell <sfr@...b.auug.org.au>
Subject: Re: [GIT] Security subsystem upate for 3.18

On Mon, 13 Oct 2014, Paul Moore wrote:

> On Monday, October 13, 2014 03:06:34 PM James Morris wrote:
> > On Sun, 12 Oct 2014, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > > on some previous development, so it's often a good time to simply
> > > create a new feature branch. I don't know how James feels about
> > > merging multiple separate feature branches, but I know that *I* tend
> > > to appreciate it when I get multiple well-defined pull requests rather
> > > than one big one that does many different things.
> >
> > It's fine with me.
> >
> > This is the first time I saw (or noticed) that Paul had back merged ahead
> > of me, but it seemed to merge into my tree ok so I didn't query it at the
> > time.
>
> The management of the linux-security tree, the approach I was taking with the
> SELinux tree, and the approach that the other LSM maintainers use has been
> discussed many times on the LSM list.  I'm also fairly certain that you were
> on the To/CC line for many, if not all, of those threads.

My expectation is that people develop against my next branch, per the
documentation here:

http://kernsec.org/wiki/index.php/Kernel_Repository

What we agreed to recently is that I'll sync to Linus' releases, as
several devlopers need/want to work with more recent kernels.  I had been
only syncing to Linus as necessary (e.g. to get in sync with say the
mainline modules code for key subsystem updates).

It's possible I missed something in the threads and we have a
misunderstanding about this process.

--
James Morris
<jmorris@...ei.org>