Date:	Sat, 18 Oct 2014 21:02:15 -0500
From:	Steve French <smfrench@...il.com>
To:	balbi@...com
Cc:	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: current mainline doesn't boot

Interesting to see that Fedora has similar problems with current
kernel (I pulled mainline again a few hours ago).

Fedora 20 x86_64 in vmware boots to logon prompt but no mouse, no
keyboard, system hung.  Ctl-alt-f1 doesn't do anything.  Even with
verbose on kernel boot line, the extra debug messages have all been
cleared by the time the hang occurs so nothing useful displayed.

To be as safe as possible I used their default .config
/boot/config-3.16.6-200.fc20.x86_64 to do a clean build of mainline.
Once again, 3.16 and 3.17 work but not current mainline.

On Sat, Oct 18, 2014 at 4:52 PM, Steve French <smfrench@...il.com> wrote:
> Same thing happened after pulling newly updated mainline kernel
> changes a few minutes ago.
>
> Black screen on boot just when you would expect x to be starting.
> Hung. Ctl-alt-F1 doesn't do anything.
>
> arch is x86_64.
>
> 3.17.1 works.  When I get time I will see if I can figure out more
> useful info but this looks like a pretty boring setup:
>
> sfrench@...ntu:~$ glxinfo | grep -i "vendor"
> server glx vendor string: SGI
> client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
> OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
> sfrench@...ntu:~$ grep LoadModule /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> [    18.271] (II) LoadModule: "glx"
> [    18.288] (II) LoadModule: "vmware"
> [    18.352] (II) LoadModule: "modesetting"
> [    18.355] (II) LoadModule: "fbdev"
> [    18.360] (II) LoadModule: "vesa"
> [    18.369] (II) LoadModule: "fbdevhw"
> [    18.372] (II) LoadModule: "fb"
> [    18.379] (II) LoadModule: "dri2"
> [    18.479] (II) LoadModule: "evdev"
> [    18.484] (II) LoadModule: "vmmouse"
>
> On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 6:52 PM, Steve French <smfrench@...il.com> wrote:
>> This is vmware guest
>>
>> sfrench@...ntu:~/xfstests$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
>> processor    : 0
>> vendor_id    : GenuineIntel
>> cpu family    : 6
>> model        : 70
>> model name    : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4750HQ CPU @ 2.00GHz
>>
>> (and using 64 bit kernel build) ...
>>
>> I don't have the Ubuntu config for their mainline kernel test builds
>> any more (deleted the kernel since it didn't work) but they post their
>> .config diffs at
>> http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/daily/current/
>>
>> I could not get to a console so assumed it died in kernel as x was
>> coming up.  I will have to reinstall current mainline to see if I can
>> hook up a serial console (I had maximum kernel boot verbose in the
>> grub.cfg but nothing interesting before the black screen)
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 6:44 PM, Felipe Balbi <balbi@...com> wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> you need to provide more information, here are a few queries which might
>>> help:
>>>
>>> 1. which architecture ?
>>> 2. Can you get a serial console to get some dmesg output ?
>>> 3. after screen is black, can you ctrl + alt + F1 and get a console ?

--
Thanks,

Steve