Date:	Tue, 4 Nov 2014 12:46:50 -0500
From:	Johannes Weiner <hannes@...xchg.org>
To:	Michal Hocko <mhocko@...e.cz>
Cc:	Kamezawa Hiroyuki <kamezawa.hiroyu@...fujitsu.com>,
	Vladimir Davydov <vdavydov@...allels.com>,
	Tejun Heo <tj@...nel.org>, David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
	linux-mm@...ck.org, cgroups@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [patch 1/3] mm: embed the memcg pointer directly into struct page

On Tue, Nov 04, 2014 at 04:00:39PM +0100, Michal Hocko wrote:
> On Tue 04-11-14 09:09:37, Johannes Weiner wrote:

> > > The memory overhead is still there. So I do not think it is good to
> > > remove the message altogether. The current overhead might be 4 or 8B
> > > depending on the configuration. What about
> > > "
> > > 	Note that setting this option might increase fixed memory
> > > 	overhead associated with each page descriptor in the system.
> > > 	The memory overhead depends on the architecture and other
> > > 	configuration options which have influence on the size and
> > > 	alignment on the page descriptor (struct page). Namely
> > > 	CONFIG_SLUB has a requirement for page alignment to two words
> > > 	which in turn means that 64b systems might not see any memory
> > > 	overhead as the additional data fits into alignment. On the
> > > 	other hand 32b systems might see 8B memory overhead.
> > > "
> >
> > What difference does it make whether this feature maybe costs an extra
> > pointer per page or not?  These texts are supposed to help decide with
> > the selection, but this is not a "good to have, if affordable" type of
> > runtime debugging option.  You either need cgroup memory accounting
> > and limiting or not.  There is no possible trade-off to be had.
>
> If you are compiling the kernel for your specific usecase then it
> is clear. You enable only what you really need/want. But if you are
> providing a pre-built kernel and considering which features to enable
> then an information about overhead might be useful. You can simply
> disable the feature for memory restricted kernel flavors.
>
> > Slub and numa balancing don't mention this, either, simply because
> > this cost is negligible or irrelevant when it comes to these knobs.
>
> I agree that the overhead seems negligible but does it hurt us to
> mention it though?

Yes, it's fairly misleading.  What about the instructions it adds to
the fault hotpaths?  The additional memory footprint of each cgroup
created?  You're adding 9 lines to point out one specific cost aspect,
when the entire feature is otherwise summed up in two lines.  The
per-page overhead of memcg is not exceptional or unexpected if you
know what it does - which you should when you enable it, even as a
distributor - and such a gross overrepresentation in the help text is
more confusing than helpful.