Date:	Mon, 10 Nov 2014 15:15:26 +0100
From:	Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@...all.nl>
To:	Shuah Khan <shuahkh@....samsung.com>,
	Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@....samsung.com>
CC:	Takashi Iwai <tiwai@...e.de>,
	Pierre-Louis Bossart <pierre-louis.bossart@...ux.intel.com>,
	Devin Heitmueller <dheitmueller@...nellabs.com>,
	alsa-devel@...a-project.org, Lars-Peter Clausen <lars@...afoo.de>,
	Sander Eikelenboom <linux@...elenboom.it>,
	prabhakar.csengg@...il.com, Antti Palosaari <crope@....fi>,
	Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@...asonboard.com>,
	"sakari.ailus@...ux.intel.com" <sakari.ailus@...ux.intel.com>,
	Tim Gardner <tim.gardner@...onical.com>,
	"olebowle@....com" <olebowle@....com>,
	Linux Kernel <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [RFCv2] Media Token API Spec.

Hi Shuah,

This looks good. I have a few remarks, see below...

On 11/05/2014 12:08 AM, Shuah Khan wrote:
> Hi Mauro,
>
> Here is the RFC as promised. I also included the Media controller
> as a an alternative and captured the discussion in the thread on
> that topic. Please review.
>
> -- Shuah

> RFC Media Token API Specification
>
> Let's start with a diagram of a media device (without IR, eeprom
> and others):
>
> http://linuxtv.org/downloads/presentations/typical_hybrid_hardware.png
>
> The dot lines represent the parts of the graph that are switched by
> the tuner, DMA or input select.
>
> Please notice that the DMA engines, together with the stuff needed to
> control A/V switches is at one single chip. Changing the registers there
> can affect the other streams, specially on most sophisticated devices
> like cx231xx, where it even has a power management IP block that
> validates if a device to be turned on/off won't exceed the maximum
> drain current of 500mA. That's basically why we need to do a temporary
> lock alsa, dvb, v4l and IR drivers when doing certain changes.
>
> Also, please notice that I2C buses that can be as slow as 10kbps
> are used to control for several devices, like:
>         - the tuner
>         - the Digital TV (DTV) demod
>         - Analog and/or Video demod (sometimes embedded at the main
>           chip)
>         - DTV demux (sometimes embedded at the main chip)
>         - The remote controller (sometimes embedded at the main chip)
>
> For some devices, after powered on, or when certain parameters change, a
> new firmware (and sometimes a hardware reset) is required. The firmware
> size can be about 64KB or even bigger.
>
> Also, the A/V switch it is actually two independent switches (or one
> switch for video and one audio mux for audio) that needs to be changed
> together when the source changes.
>
> There are two components that are shared there between analog and
> digital: the tuner (where the signal is captured) and the DMA engine
> used to stream analog and Digital TV (dvb).
>
> PS.: the diagram is over-simplified, as the tuner is just one of the
> possible inputs for the analog part of the device. Other possible
> inputs are S-Video, composite, HDMI, etc.
>
> Sometimes, the audio DMA is also shared, e. g. just one stream comes
> from the hardware. It is up to the driver to split audio and video and
> send them to the V4L2 and ALSA APIs. This is the case of tm6000 driver.
>
> Those shared components can be used either at analog or digital mode,
> but not at the same time.

At least in theory there may be independent DMA engines for analog and
digital video, which means that you can have DVB capture and Composite
analog capture (or any other analog input as long as it isn't from the
tuner). I actually suspect that one or more of the conexant devices
can do that. But I doubt we support that in the driver and I'm not sure
we want that anyway.

> [...]
> and v4l applications when audio is busy, two tokens (one for tuner
> and another for audio) are necessary and audio token lock should not
> be held at ALSA open/close.
>
> Special cases:
>
> Dvb applications access tuner in exclusive mode. i.e only one dvb
> application at a time is allowed to open the device read/write mode.
> Dvb applications don't use audio node, however, devices can't use
> audio hardware while in DVB mode. Dvb applications receive data as
> MPEG-TS, using a separate device node. The same DMA engine that
> provides video (and, sometimes audio) is used by the DVB device
> node, making it inaccessible to audio applications while tuner
> is in DVB mode. Hence, the need to prevent audio applications from
> accessing audio node when tuner is in DVB mode. As a result, dvb-core
> will have to hold tuner and audio tokens so v4l2-core and ALSA know
> that audio is not available. Dvb disables audio hardware so it could
> be powered-off in some cases.
>
> Audio applications access audio in exclusive mode. i.e only one audio
> application at a time is allowed to open the device in read/write mode.
> Audio applications create threads and thread closes and re-opens the
> audio device. Threads can do this and hence something that higher level
> construct has to allow. Audio application has to hold audio token so
> dvb and v4l2 know that it is in use.
>
> V4l2 applications access tuner and audio in shared v4l2 mode.
> i.e several v4l2 processes and threads could use tuner and audio
> at the same time. V4L2 core handles concurrency. There's just
> one file handler with full control to start/stop stream at V4L2
> side. The higher level construct should not break the ability of
> multiple v4l2 applications to access tuner and audio in shared
> mode, and disallow dvb and audio applications access when they
> are in use by the V4L2-core.
>
> Dvb-core when it gets the tuner, it should also obtain audio right
> away. v4l2-core when it gets the tuner, it should get the audio at
> the same time. When dvb-core has the tuner, v4l2 shouldn't get it
> and vice versa.
>
> When dvb-core has the audio locked, audio application should detect
> condition and stop streaming, as part of the hardware can be powered
> off. It can only return opening the device after DVB releases audio
> token.
>
> When v4l2-core has audio locked, audio application should detect the
> condition and stop sending commands to audio hardware. It can only
> resume audio access after V4L2 releases audio token.
>
> Open issues:
> During testing, snd_pcm_lib_ioctls are coming from dvb application.
> It is likely that these are related to the audio output and not audio
> capture or the application in question is an hybrid one. This issue
> needs further investigation.
>
> Alternatives: (proposed by Sakari Ailus)
> Can Media controller be used to solve the problem?

I don't think the MC has anything to do with this. The problem is with
existing non-MC drivers and existing applications. Adding MC support to
drivers will not help this in any way that I can see.

In the end this is simply a resource ownership problem: who owns the
tuner? The only thing special about it is that it crosses subsystems.