Date:	Wed, 19 Nov 2014 12:09:20 +0100 (CET)
From:	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>
To:	"Yun Wu (Abel)" <wuyun.wu@...wei.com>
cc:	Jiang Liu <jiang.liu@...ux.intel.com>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Bjorn Helgaas <bhelgaas@...gle.com>,
	Grant Likely <grant.likely@...aro.org>,
	Marc Zyngier <marc.zyngier@....com>,
	Yingjoe Chen <yingjoe.chen@...iatek.com>,
	Yijing Wang <wangyijing@...wei.com>
Subject: Re: [patch 08/16] genirq: Introduce callback
 irq_chip.irq_write_msi_msg

On Wed, 19 Nov 2014, Yun Wu (Abel) wrote:
> On 2014/11/18 22:52, Jiang Liu wrote:

> >> The GICv3 ITS now deals with both PCI and non PCI message interrupts.
> >> We can't require the new devices behave writing message in a same way.
> >> What we can do is to abstract all the endpoints' behavior, and I
> >> provided one abstraction in an earlier reply.
> > It should be easy to extend:)
> > Actually, x86 interrupt remapping drivers already support two types of
> > MSIs, one is PCI MSI/MSIX, another is HPET interrupt.
>

> Well, if there are one hundred types, I don't think it's as easy as you
> thought to extend. Of course we can doubt the possibility of being hundred,
> but tens or twenties is reasonably possible lying under the fact we have
> already startet to integrate the MSI registers (or some other form to store
> information) into the individual devices.

If your hardware designers decided to come up with 20+ different ways
to implement MSI support, then it's not a reason to inflict completely
non-sensical crap into the core infrastucture.

The infrastructure we provided is optimized for sane use cases, while
it allows you to deal with totally brainwrecked hardware designs.

If you have 20 different ways, you need 20 different controllers for
it, whether you like it or not. No magic 'generic' abstraction will
solve that for you.

Thanks,

	tglx