Date:	Wed, 26 Nov 2014 17:07:13 +0100
From:	Christian Borntraeger <borntraeger@...ibm.com>
To:	"Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@...hat.com>,
	David Hildenbrand <dahi@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>
CC:	linuxppc-dev@...ts.ozlabs.org, linux-arch@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, benh@...nel.crashing.org,
	paulus@...ba.org, akpm@...ux-foundation.org,
	heiko.carstens@...ibm.com, schwidefsky@...ibm.com, mingo@...nel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC 0/2] Reenable might_sleep() checks for might_fault() when
 atomic

Am 26.11.2014 um 16:47 schrieb Michael S. Tsirkin:

>>> That's assuming you disabled preemption. If you didn't, and take
>>> a spinlock, you have deadlocks even without userspace access.
>>>

>> (Thanks for your resent, my first email was sent directly to you ... grml)
>>
>> This is what happened on our side (very recent kernel):
>>
>> spin_lock(&lock)
>> copy_to_user(...)
>> spin_unlock(&lock)
>
> That's a deadlock even without copy_to_user - it's
> enough for the thread to be preempted and another one
> to try taking the lock.

Huh? With CONFIG_PREEMPT spin_lock will disable preemption. (we had preempt = server anyway).

But please: One step back. The problem is not the good path. The problem is that we lost a debugging aid for a known to be broken case. In other words: Our code had a bug. Older kernels detected that kind of bug. With your change we no longer saw the sleeping while atomic. Thats it. See my other mail.

Christian