Date:	Sat, 29 Nov 2014 15:50:48 +0100
From:	SF Markus Elfring <elfring@...rs.sourceforge.net>
To:	OGAWA Hirofumi <hirofumi@...l.parknet.co.jp>
CC:	Julia Lawall <julia.lawall@...6.fr>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	kernel-janitors@...r.kernel.org, trivial@...nel.org,
	Coccinelle <cocci@...teme.lip6.fr>
Subject: Re: fs-fat: Less function calls in fat_fill_super() after error detection

> More labels are more chances of bug (and we don't care micro optimize
> on this error path), isn't it?

I would prefer that a few jump targets can be redirected so that unnecessary
function calls (and corresponding checks) can be avoided.

> Increasing the chance of bugs and bothers developers for analyzer sounds
> like strange.

There are different opinions around source code clarity.

> (And we are initializing those for avoiding to be bothered by choosing
> correct label.

Pointer initialisation is convenient and safe in some use cases, isn't it?

> If we really care micro optimize, initialization of those should not
> be required and should not be touched on other paths, and gcc can warn
> its usage.)

I imagine that a software optimiser can eventually perform better job
if unneeded statements could be omitted, couldn't it?

Regards,
Markus