Date:	Thu, 4 Dec 2014 17:22:50 +0200
From:	Pantelis Antoniou <panto@...oniou-consulting.com>
To:	Alexandre Courbot <gnurou@...il.com>
Cc:	Maxime Ripard <maxime.ripard@...e-electrons.com>,
	Linus Walleij <linus.walleij@...aro.org>,
	Benoit Parrot <bparrot@...com>,
	Jiri Prchal <jiri.prchal@...ignal.cz>,
	"linux-gpio@...r.kernel.org" <linux-gpio@...r.kernel.org>,
	"devicetree@...r.kernel.org" <devicetree@...r.kernel.org>,
	Grant Likely <grant.likely@...retlab.ca>
Subject: Re: [Patch v2 1/2] gpio: add GPIO hogging mechanism

Hi Alexandre,

> On Dec 4, 2014, at 17:10 , Alexandre Courbot <gnurou@...il.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 12:02 AM, Pantelis Antoniou
> <panto@...oniou-consulting.com> wrote:
>> Hi Alexandre,
>>
>>> On Dec 4, 2014, at 16:58 , Alexandre Courbot <gnurou@...il.com> wrote:

>>> IIUC that would not solve this particular issue - here the GPIO
>>> controller is both a provider and (indirect) consumer of a GPIO for
>>> itself. If the hog is in a separate node, if would have to be probed
>>> from inside the probe() function of the GPIO controller to do the job,
>>> which would be the same effect as having the hogs directly under the
>>> controller node, only with more hassle.
>>>
>>> Again, IIUC. >_<
>>
>> If you had a way to specify the order of probing that would work no?
>> You don’t have to do it in the gpio-controller, you can do it in the
>> platform bus probe.
>
> A probe order that works would be the following:
>
> 1) bank A is probed, gpio 14 is available
> 2) gpio-regulator is probed, acquires GPIO 14, regulator for Bank B is available
> 3) bank B is probed, grabs its regulator and turn it on, probes.
>
> The problem is that in the present case, 1) and 3) are the same
> operation because both banks are the same device.
>
> You could probably solve this by making bank A and bank B separate
> devices, then even EPROBE_DEFER would allow you to probe everything in
> the right order. But since the DT bindings are (supposedly) already
> published this is likely not an option (?). And logically speaking,
> these banks form one device anyway.

Let’s put that in a pseudo DT definition.

BANK_A: bank_a {
	compatible = “banka,gpio-controller”;
};

GPIO_REGULATOR: gpio-regulator {
	compatible = “gpio-regulator”;
	gpio = <&BANK_A 14>;
};

BANK_B: bank_b {
	compatible = “bankb,gpio-controller”;
	power-supply = <&GPIO_REGULATOR>;
};

The correct probe order is bank_a, gpio-regulator, bank_b correct?

It is possible to modify DTC to follow phandle references and spit out
a depends node that the platform bus probe can use.

For instance,

	__depends__ {
		gpio-regulator = <&BANK_A>;
		bank_b = <&GPIO_REGULATOR>;