Date:	Mon, 8 Dec 2014 19:07:43 +0200
From:	Arto Merilainen <amerilainen@...dia.com>
To:	<myungjoo.ham@...sung.com>,
	박경민 <kyungmin.park@...sung.com>,
	"tomeu.vizoso@...labora.com" <tomeu.vizoso@...labora.com>,
	"gnurou@...il.com" <gnurou@...il.com>
CC:	"javier.martinez@...labora.co.uk" <javier.martinez@...labora.co.uk>,
	"linux-pm@...r.kernel.org" <linux-pm@...r.kernel.org>,
	"linux-tegra@...r.kernel.org" <linux-tegra@...r.kernel.org>,
	"swarren@...dotorg.org" <swarren@...dotorg.org>,
	"thierry.reding@...il.com" <thierry.reding@...il.com>,
	"grant.likely@...aro.org" <grant.likely@...aro.org>,
	"srasal@...dia.com" <srasal@...dia.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC RESEND 0/3] Add watermark support to devfreq

Hi MyungJoo,

Thank for your answer, see my answers inline.

On 12/08/2014 09:44 AM, MyungJoo Ham wrote:
> Please let me start with somewhat naive high-level question:
>    What do you mean by watermark in this context?

Sorry for poor choice of naming. "Load threshold interrupt" might be
more appropriate. The idea of the series here is to add an ability to
program hardware to give interrupts when the current load value goes
above (or below) certain threshold(s). I will revisit the naming.

> Other itching points include:
> - devfreq_watermark_event() was declared but has never been used.
>      Who is supposed to call this function?

The device profile is responsible to call this function from an
interrupt handler. I will document this.

> - Is enum watermark_type supposed to be used out of /drivers/devfreq/* ?

Yes, the idea is to use the enumerations for informing the type of the
event. I.e. from interrupt handler we might call:
   devfreq_watermark_event(devfreq, ACTMON_INTR_BELOW_WMARK);

> - Could you please watermark-specific interfaces (set_high/low_wmark) into
>      its own public header file? (e.g., /include/linux/devfreq/governor_wmark.h)
>    I think we can create another (governor_simpleondemand.h) in there as well
>      in order to have threshold values configured by device drivers.
>    Adding governor-specific configurations into devfreq.h seems not
>      appropriate especially when we expect that we may need many different
>      governors.

I am not convinced that creating two separate interfaces is better than
extending a single centralised interface. Let us first consider the
compatibility...:

First, in trivial case the device driver does not implement the
threshold feature. Obviously we cannot use threshold based governor for
scaling but all existing polling based governors will work as earlier.

Second, let us assume that we have a device that supports threshold
interrupts and the driver has implemented the required set_h/l_wmark
interrupts and calls devfreq_watermark_event() when we get an interrupt.
This device can therefore use wmark_simple and wmark_active governors.
In addition to the wmark governors, we may choose to use a polling based
governor. With current approach the polling governor simply ignores the
events and leaves the thresholds "as is".

In short, I would not be concerned on compatibility. From governor side
it should be ok to ignore an event. In addition, it is ok from governor
initialization to fail in case the device driver does not implement all
required features.

I am also afraid that initialisation makes two-communication-paths
approach tricky. In code you likely could have..:
   devfreq_add_device(dev, &pdata->devfreq, "wmark_simple", &extra_fns);

.. but what happens if we wish to change the governor on the fly through
sysfs? In worst case this is targeting to a governor that requires its
own data field in initialisation.

>    OR..
>
>    This seems that you can keep set_h/l_wmark functions exposed to
>      drivers/devfreq/* only. Therefore, having /drivers/devfreq/governor_wmark.h
>      should be sufficient as well, which should be more neat than the above.
>    The callbacks are to be defined by the devfreq drivers, aren't they?

set_h/l_wmark callbacks should be implemented by the device profiles
(the device drivers themselves) for setting the thresholds on hardware.
These are not devfreq/governor private functions but something that
should be implemented inside the device driver.

> - The event name, "DEVFREQ_GOV_WMARK", defined in governor.h, seems to be
>      more appropriate if it is named "DEVFREQ_GOV_INTERNAL" as we won't need
>      to define event names for each govornor's internal needs.
>
>    OR.. for more generality,
>      we may define a macro like:
>
> #define DEVFREQ_GOV_INTERNAL(value)	((0x1 << 31) | (value))
> #define GET_DEVFREQ_GOV_INTERNAL(event)	((event) & ~(0x1 << 31))

This should work.

> - In general, I would love to see governors with minimal intervention on
>      the framework core/main code, especially when it is not beneficial to
>      other governors. Unlike cpufreq, we may contain many different types of
>      devices in devfreq, which has the potential to accompany many different
>      governors.

I would like to see is that we could easily take advantage of hardware
features and not let framework limit us too much. :-)

For example, Tomeu has been working on ACTMON driver that measures
memory transfers (please refer to "Add support for Tegra Activity
Monitor" series). This hardware block is capable of generating
interrupts based on activity and hence by factoring the series properly,
we could use the same governor from the series in different places
easily. Without proper interfacing everyone ends up duplicating the code.

- Arto