Date:	Tue, 16 Dec 2014 10:50:02 +0100
From:	Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@...ux-m68k.org>
To:	Masahiro Yamada <yamada.m@...panasonic.com>
Cc:	"linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org" <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@...radead.org>,
	Andrew Murray <amurray@...-data.co.uk>,
	linux-m68k <linux-m68k@...ts.linux-m68k.org>
Subject: Re: [Question] How to print size_t type variable?

Hi Yamada-san,

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 4:05 AM, Masahiro Yamada
<yamada.m@...panasonic.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 12:00:25 +0100
> Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@...ux-m68k.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 11:51 AM, Masahiro Yamada
>> <yamada.m@...panasonic.com> wrote:

>> > Yes, I can use it, but I am still curious.
>> >
>> > Do we have a good reason to keep this limitation?
>> >
>> > (All the problem I could see for using GCC that was not configured for Linux
>> > was just the printk-related warnings.)
>> >
>> > Instead of hard-coding the size_t type,
>> > can we use compiler-provided __SIZE_TYPE__ (or include <stddef.h>) ??
>>
>> Note that cris and s390 used __SIZE_TYPE__ in kernel headers before,
>> but it caused other compiler warnings due to a mismatch in the base types
>> for size_t and ssize_t, cfr. https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/8/12/36.
>> AFAIK, there's no __SSIZE_TYPE__.
>
> I notice __kernel_(s)size_t has the same width as "long".
> (The kernel does not support LLP64.  We just have to take LP64 into account.)

On 64-bit, __kernel_(s)size_t are indeed (unsigned) long
On 32-bit, __kernel_(s)size_t is usually (unsigned) int for historical
reasons.
Cfr. include/uapi/asm-generic/posix_types.h:

/*
 * Most 32 bit architectures use "unsigned int" size_t,
 * and all 64 bit architectures use "unsigned long" size_t.
 */
#ifndef __kernel_size_t
#if __BITS_PER_LONG != 64
typedef unsigned int    __kernel_size_t;
typedef int             __kernel_ssize_t;
typedef int             __kernel_ptrdiff_t;
#else
typedef __kernel_ulong_t __kernel_size_t;
typedef __kernel_long_t __kernel_ssize_t;
typedef __kernel_long_t __kernel_ptrdiff_t;
#endif
#endif

The are a few exceptions (e.g. avr32 and blackfin)

> Perhaps, we should have hard-coded
>
> typedef __kernel_ulong_t __kernel_size_t;
> typedef __kernel_long_t __kernel_ssize_t;
>
> and used "%lx" to print (s)size_t type variables.
>
> I think we do not have a good reason to use "%zx",
> although it might be too late.

In hindsight, it would have been better for (s)size_t to match (unsigned) long,
removing the need for %z.
However, that was realized only after 64-bit architectures were introduced.
It's definitely to late to change this for existing 32-bit architectures.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert@...ux-m68k.org