Date:	Wed, 24 Dec 2014 10:03:13 +0100
From:	Stephan Mueller <smueller@...onox.de>
To:	leroy christophe <christophe.leroy@....fr>
Cc:	Herbert Xu <herbert@...dor.apana.org.au>,
	linux-crypto <linux-crypto@...r.kernel.org>,
	'LKML' <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: algif_hash: splice of data > 2**16

Am Dienstag, 23. Dezember 2014, 18:16:01 schrieb leroy christophe:

Hi leroy,

> Le 20/12/2014 07:37, Stephan Mueller a écrit :
> > Am Donnerstag, 18. Dezember 2014, 13:22:20 schrieb leroy christophe:
> >
> > Hi Christophe,

> >> Hi Stephan,
> >>
> >> I have already noticed the same issue and proposed a patch, but I never
> >> got any feedback and it has never been merged, allthought I pinged it a
> >> few times.
> >>
> >> See https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/4/18/276
> >
> > After testing, this patch does not work for me. The operation still stops
> > after 16 pages.
>
> Yes, it looks like the function I fixed is exclusively used by
> sendfile() system call.
> So there is probably the same kind of fix to be done in another function.

I do not believe that is the case. IMHO the blocking issue is found in the
following code:

splice_from_pipe_feed walks the pipe->nrbufs. And vmsplice_to_pipe defines the
maximum number of nrbufs as PIPE_DEF_BUFFERS -- which is 16. As subsequent
functions allocate memory based on PIPE_DEF_BUFFERS, there is no trivial way
to increase the number of pages to be processed.

Thus I see that the vmsplice/splice combo can at most operate on a chunk of 16
pages. Thus, you have to segment your input buffer into chunks of that size
and invoke the vmsplice/splice syscalls for each segment.

--
Ciao
Stephan