Date:	Sat, 27 Dec 2014 12:20:50 -0500
From:	Pranith Kumar <bobby.prani@...il.com>
To:	Paul McKenney <paulmck@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>
Cc:	Stephen Rothwell <sfr@...b.auug.org.au>,
	linux-next@...r.kernel.org, LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the rcu tree

On Sat, Dec 27, 2014 at 11:24 AM, Pranith Kumar <bobby.prani@...il.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 26, 2014 at 11:54 AM, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
>> Pranith, if Stephen has CONFIG_KVM=n, it might be best to move the
>> "select SRCU" to "config PPC" in arch/powerpc/Kconfig.  Are you able
>> to cross-build powerpc?
>>

> ppc 32 seems fine without selecting srcu unconditionally. So I added
> this select to PPC 64 which should fix this build failure.

On looking at this further, I was able to figure out the parts on
ppc64 utilizing KVM and enabled them dependent on CONFIG_KVM being
enabled. I tested this with a ppc64 allnoconfig and it built
succesfully (depending on a unrelated patch to enable printk for
powernv).

I've sent the patch but it still seems that we will be playing
whack-a-mole for now with code which uses KVM indepedent of
CONFIG_KVM. May be fixing it incrementally is a better option than
lumping all these together?

--
Pranith