Date:	Fri, 09 Jan 2015 09:03:54 -0500
From:	Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu
To:	Siddhartha De <siddhartha.de87@...il.com>
Cc:	linux-kernel <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	kernelnewbies@...nelnewbies.org
Subject: Re: Fwd: Question about kernel interfaces

On Fri, 09 Jan 2015 18:00:07 +0530, Siddhartha De said:

> In what timeframe should we migrate to "pure" sysfs and drop using
> any ioctls (if a sysfs interface exists)?

Pretty much the answer is "you don't", for the wsame reason that there's still
a lot of non-process stuff in /proc - there's no good way to clean up /pron up /
 proc or get rid of ioctl()'s without breaking userspace.

And some ioctl's you can't get rid of because they're part of official
standards (for instance, all to TIO_FOO stuff for controlling a terminal are
part of POSIX - removing them would break code that used to be portable...

Or to put it differently - ioctl() virst appeared in Unix Version 7 in 1979.