Date:	Tue, 20 Jan 2015 11:09:19 +0800
From:	Zhang Zhen <zhenzhang.zhang@...wei.com>
To:	Don Zickus <dzickus@...hat.com>
CC:	<paulmck@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>, <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	<morgan.wang@...wei.com>, <josh@...edesktop.org>,
	<dipankar@...ibm.com>
Subject: Re: RCU CPU stall console spews  leads to soft lockup disabled is
 reasonable ?

On 2015/1/19 22:06, Don Zickus wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 05:04:29PM +0800, Zhang Zhen wrote:
>>>
>>> Did you really intend to acquire the same spinlock twice in a row,
>>> forcing a self-deadlock?  If not, I of course suggest changing the second
>>> "spin_lock()" to "spin_unlock()".
>>>

>> Yes, i acquire the same spinlock twice in order to reproduce the problem.
>>
>>> If your .config has CONFIG_TREE_RCU=y, the above is quite likely to
>>> give you an RCU CPU stall warning.
>>>

>> In my .config CONFIG_TREE_RCU=y.
>>
>> If softlockup_thresh < rcu_cpu_stall_timeout, it will give soft lockup warning.
>> If softlockup_thresh > rcu_cpu_stall_timeout, it will likely to give RCU CPU stall warning
>> just like above and no give soft lockup warning.
>>
>> It means that RCU CPU stall console spews leads to soft lockup disabled.
>> Is this reasonable ?
>
> I believe so.  In kernel v3.10.., all activity to the console executed
> touch_nmi_watchdog() which calls touch_softlockup_watchdog, which delayed
> the softlockup for another round of 'softlockup_thresh'.

Yeah, you are right. It's the real reason.

> Of course back then, touch_nmi_watchdog touched all cpus.  So a problem
> like this was masked.  I believe this upstream commit 62572e29bc53, solved
> the problem.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Commit 62572e29bc53 changed the semantics of touch_nmi_watchdog and make it
only touch local cpu not every one.
But watchdog_nmi_touch = true only guarantee no hard lockup check on this cpu.

Commit 62572e29bc53 didn't changed the semantics of touch_softlockup_watchdog.

> You can apply that commit and see if you if you get both RCU stall
> messages _and_ softlockup messages.  I believe that is what you were
> expecting, correct?

Correct, i expect i can get  both RCU stall messages _and_ softlockup messages.
I applied that commit, and i only got RCU stall messages.

/ #
/ #  echo 60 > /proc/sys/kernel/watchdog_thresh
/ # busybox insmod softlockup_test.ko
[   35.344060] INFO: rcu_preempt detected stalls on CPUs/tasks: {} (detected by 0, t=21002 jiffies, g=85, c=84, q=4)
[   35.344060] INFO: Stall ended before state dump start
[   98.349079] INFO: rcu_preempt detected stalls on CPUs/tasks: {} (detected by 0, t=84007 jiffies, g=85, c=84, q=4)
[   98.349079] INFO: Stall ended before state dump start
[  161.354100] INFO: rcu_preempt detected stalls on CPUs/tasks: {} (detected by 0, t=147012 jiffies, g=85, c=84, q=4)
[  161.354100] INFO: Stall ended before state dump start

> Of course, on a non-virt guest, your test case would normally trigger a
> hardlockup warning first.  And a later kernel version for the guest may
> actually do that (not quite sure if the emulated PMU stuff is upstream or
> not yet).  Just to set your expectations correctly.

Yes, on a non-virt guest, my test case tiggered hardlockup warning firt.

Best regards!