Date:	Tue, 20 Jan 2015 12:03:19 -0500 (EST)
From:	Vince Weaver <vincent.weaver@...ne.edu>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
cc:	Jiri Olsa <jolsa@...nel.org>,
	Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@...hat.com>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>,
	Paul Mackerras <paulus@...ba.org>
Subject: perf: behavior of poll() changed in 3.18

Hello

Some of my code that used poll() on a perf_event fd broke sometime between
3.17 and current.  (My perf_event_test validation testsuite caught this
too but I haven't been running it as regularly as I should).

I bisected this to:

	commit 179033b3e064d2cd3f5f9945e76b0a0f0fbf4883
	Author: Jiri Olsa <jolsa@...nel.org>
	Date:   Thu Aug 7 11:48:26 2014 -0400

	perf: Add PERF_EVENT_STATE_EXIT state for events with exited task

Before, when polling, my code would get a
	result=0/WIFEXITED()
return when a child with events being polled exited.

Now instead I get a
	result=1/POLLHUP
return.

Needless to say this broke my code.  Is there a reason this change was
made?

Vince