Date:	Sat, 31 Jan 2015 16:00:31 +0100
From:	Markus Pargmann <mpa@...gutronix.de>
To:	Paul Clements <paul.clements@...sios.com>
Cc:	Wouter Verhelst <w@...r.be>,
	"nbd-general@...ts.sourceforge.net"
	<nbd-general@...ts.sourceforge.net>,
	"kernel@...gutronix.de" <kernel@...gutronix.de>
Subject: Re: [RFC 4/4] nbd: Add support for nbd as root device

On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 08:52:18AM -0500, Paul Clements wrote:
> On Saturday, January 31, 2015, Markus Pargmann <mpa@...gutronix.de> wrote:

> > nbd-client

> > without
> > >
> > > Fair enough, just thought I'd point it out.
> > >
> > > When looking at your patch set, two things pop out which you should
> > > probably look at:
> > > - What will happen if someone boots with root-on-NBD in your scheme and
> > >   later does a pivot_root() followed by an NBD_DISCONNECT ioctl on the
> > >   device?
> >
> > Good point. I will look if it works or fix it otherwise.
> >
> > > - When a connection is started by nbd-client, the kernel creates a "pid"
> > >   file in sysfs, which contains the PID of the client and which the
> > >   client (when called with -c, or in other cases) uses to verify whether
> > >   a device is connected. At first glance, your patch does not do this,
> > >   which could cause confusion.
> >
> > I am actually not quite happy to expose the pid of the task that is
> > doing the receive handling through sysfs. As it is already in the code,
> > we can't simply remove it. But I think this should be managed by
> > userspace if it is necessary at some point. It seems like the pid is
> > only used for the connection status?
> >

> The pid is also used to break a hung connection. See nbd_xmit_timeout.

I think nbd_xmit_timeout only uses task structs and is within the
kernel. There is only a printk which uses the pid.

> Also, see Michal Belcyk's patch for a further improvement to this. They are
> both using pids to kill the hung threads.

Yes there are some occurances of the nbd->pid field, but it seems it is
not essential for the patch. The timeout issues are still on my todo to
reproduce and fix them.

Thanks,

Markus

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (820 bytes)