Date:	Wed, 4 Feb 2015 13:31:47 -0800
From:	Andy Lutomirski <luto@...capital.net>
To:	"Serge E. Hallyn" <serge@...lyn.com>
Cc:	Christoph Lameter <cl@...ux.com>,
	"Andrew G. Morgan" <morgan@...nel.org>,
	Serge Hallyn <serge.hallyn@...ntu.com>,
	Serge Hallyn <serge.hallyn@...onical.com>,
	Jonathan Corbet <corbet@....net>,
	Aaron Jones <aaronmdjones@...il.com>,
	"Ted Ts'o" <tytso@....edu>,
	LSM List <linux-security-module@...r.kernel.org>,
	lkml <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Andrew Morton <akpm@...uxfoundation.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC] Implement ambient capability set.

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 1:27 PM, Serge E. Hallyn <serge@...lyn.com> wrote:
> Quoting Andy Lutomirski (luto@...capital.net):
>> On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 1:16 PM, Serge E. Hallyn <serge@...lyn.com> wrote:
>> > Quoting Andy Lutomirski (luto@...capital.net):

>> > How about if instead we do restrict it to what's in pP?  I don't
>> > want CAP_SETPCAP to become a cheap way to get all caps back.  With
>> > or without NNP.
>>
>> We'd also have to modify everything that can change pP to change pA as
>> well if we went this route.  I'd be okay with that, but it would make
>> the patch much larger, and I'm not entirely sure I see the benefit.
>> It would keep the number of possible states smaller, which could be
>> nice.
>
> Do you mean if we didn't require NNP?  I'm suggesting that even if
> we require NNP we should restrict any new bits added to pA to be
> in pP at the prctl call.  Then whether or not to drop them from
> pA when they are dropped from pP, I'm not yet certain.

I mean regardless of whether we require NNP.

I think that, unless we change the evolution rule, we would need to
drop from pA when bits are dropped from pP to preserve the idea that
dropping bits from pP drops them for good (as long as ruid != 0 or
some securebit is set).

--
Andy Lutomirski
AMA Capital Management, LLC