Date:	Wed, 11 Feb 2015 08:44:59 +0800
From:	Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>
To:	Andy Lutomirski <luto@...capital.net>
Cc:	Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>, Jiri Kosina <jkosina@...e.cz>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-api@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC] simple_char: New infrastructure to simplify chardev
 management

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 03:44:05PM -0800, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> This isn't adequately tested, and I don't have a demonstration (yet).
> It's here for review for whether it's a good idea in the first place
> and for weather the fully_dynamic mechanism is a good idea.
>
> The current character device interfaces are IMO awful.

That's a total understatement.  Redoing the char interface has been in
my todo list for a decade now.  It's the complexity that happens to be
used by just a handful of drivers that have prevented me from doing the
rework in the past.  Creating a "new" interface that we then port code
to is a very good idea, as it can happen over time in a much more
orderly way.

And we can throw the kernel-janitors people at it once it's working, to
convert the rest of the tree, providing them a useful outlet for their
need for patch cleanups :)

So yes, I'm all for this, thanks so much for looking into this.  I'm at
a conference this week, but will go over it on the plane home and give
you some review comments.

greg k-h