Date:	Wed, 11 Feb 2015 12:43:03 -0800
From:	Joe Perches <joe@...ches.com>
To:	Pavel Machek <pavel@....cz>
Cc:	Richard Weinberger <richard.weinberger@...il.com>,
	Dan Carpenter <dan.carpenter@...cle.com>,
	"devel@...verdev.osuosl.org" <devel@...verdev.osuosl.org>,
	gmate.amit@...il.com, Greg KH <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>,
	Bas Peters <baspeters93@...il.com>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Pushpendra Singh <pushpendra.singh@...rtplayin.com>,
	manuel.schoelling@....de,
	Sudip Mukherjee <sudipm.mukherjee@...il.com>,
	Kalle Valo <kvalo@....qualcomm.com>
Subject: Re: checkpatch induced patches...

On Wed, 2015-02-11 at 21:24 +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> On Wed 2015-02-11 12:20:25, Joe Perches wrote:
[]
> > > FYI: We had already a heated debate on that topic.
> > > https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/7/17/415
[]
> > This is basically a patch that implements my suggestion
> > in that thread.
> > https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/7/17/427
> >
> > I wonder if the undocumented --force option is acceptable
> > to Pavel and Kalle.

> Undocumented options are evil... You can add warning about not wasting
> people's time in --force documentation...

Yeah, I had added --force to the help text
then removed it before sending, so I suppose
adding a warning there is OK too.

Nobody reads the --help text anyway.

Dan/Andrew/Greg?  You got a preference?

Maybe some help/warning text like:

  --force                    Without --force, checkpatch will not scan files
                             using -f or --file outside of drivers/staging/...
                             Do not use this option merely to create potential
                             patches that are uncompiled or untested.