Date:	Fri, 13 Feb 2015 19:17:52 +0100
From:	Nicholas Mc Guire <der.herr@...r.at>
To:	Oleg Nesterov <oleg@...hat.com>
Cc:	Davidlohr Bueso <dave@...olabs.net>, paulmck@...ux.vnet.ibm.com,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, waiman.long@...com,
	peterz@...radead.org, raghavendra.kt@...ux.vnet.ibm.com
Subject: Re: BUG: spinlock bad magic on CPU#0, migration/0/9

On Thu, 12 Feb 2015, Oleg Nesterov wrote:

> Nicholas, sorry, I sent the patch but forgot to CC you.
> See https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/2/12/587
>
> And please note that "completion" was specially designed to guarantee
> that complete() can't play with this memory after wait_for_completion/etc
> returns.

hmmm.... I guess that "falling out of context" can happen in a number of cases
with completion - any of the timeout/interruptible variants e.g:

	void xxx(void)
	{
		struct completion c;

		init_completion(&c);

		expose_this_completion(&c);

		wait_for_completion_timeout(&c,A_FEW_JIFFIES);
	}

and if the other side did not call complete() within A_FEW_JIFFIES then
it would result in the same failure - I don't think the API can prevent
this type of bug. Tt has to be ensured by additional locking e.g:
drivers/misc/tifm_7xx1.c:tifm_7xx1_resume() resolve this issue by resetting
the completion to NULL and testing for !NULL before calling complete()
with appropriate locking protection access.

Never the less of course the proposed change in completion_done() was a bug -
many thanks for catching that so quickly !

> On 02/12, Oleg Nesterov wrote:

> > > But that would not break due to the change - even if completion_done() had a
> > > problem - complete_done() is not consuming x->done it is only checking it?
> >
> > Nicholas, looks like you didn't read the text below:

> > Or I misunderstood you.

> > > what would be the sense of the spin_unlock_wait here ?
> > > all you are interested in here is the state of x->done
> >
> > No. Please see above.
> >
> > > regarding the smp_rmb() where would the counterpart to that be ?
> >
> > to avoid the reordering, we should not read ->wait.lock before ->done.
> >
> > Oleg.

thx!
hofrat