Date:	Mon,  2 Mar 2015 15:25:09 +0100
From:	Daniel Wagner <daniel.wagner@...-carit.de>
To:	Jeff Layton <jlayton@...marydata.com>
Cc:	linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	Daniel Wagner <daniel.wagner@...-carit.de>,
	Alexander Viro <viro@...iv.linux.org.uk>,
	Jeff Layton <jlayton@...chiereds.net>,
	"J. Bruce Fields" <bfields@...ldses.org>
Subject: [RFC v2 0/4] fs/locks: Use plain percpu spinlocks instead of lglock to protect file_lock

Hi Jeff,

I've dropped the spinlock conversion for the time beeing. Maybe the
last patch which changes the usage of blocked_lock_lock is still
useful. And in case I can convince of the spinlock conversion it can
easliy done on top of it. I think it makes it also simpler to review
doing it this after all.

cheers,
daniel

v2:
 - added a few lockdep assertion
 - dropped spinlock conversion

v1:
 - rebased on v3.19-8975-g3d88348
 - splittet into smaller pieces
 - fixed a wrong usage of __locks_insert/delete_block() and it's posix version
 - added seqfile helpers to avoid ugly open coded version

Original cover letter:

I am looking at how to get rid of lglock. Reason being -rt is not too
happy with that lock, especially that it uses arch_spinlock_t and
therefore it is not changed into a mutex on -rt. I know no change is
accepted only fixing something for -rt alone. So here my attempt to
make things faster for mainline and fixing -rt.

There are two users of lglock at this point. fs/locks.c and
kernel/stop_machine.c

I presume the fs/locks is the more interesting one in respect of
performance. Let's have a look at that one first.

The lglock version of file_lock_lock is used in combination of
blocked_lock_lock to protect file_lock's fl_link, fl_block, fl_next,
blocked_hash and the percpu file_lock_list.

The plan is to reorganize the usage of the locks and what they protect
so that the usage of the global blocked_lock_lock is reduced.

Whenever we insert a new lock we are going to grab besides the i_lock
also the corresponding percpu file_lock_lock. The global
blocked_lock_lock is only used when blocked_hash is involved.

file_lock_list exists to be being able to produce the content of
/proc/locks. For listing the all locks it seems a bit excessive to
grab all locks at once. We should be okay just grabbing the
corresponding lock when iterating over the percpu file_lock_list.

file_lock_lock protects now file_lock_list and fl_link, fl_block and
fl_next allone. That means we need to define which file_lock_lock is
used for all waiters. Luckely, fl_link_cpu can be reused for fl_block
and fl_next.

I haven't found a good way around for the open coded seq_ops
(locks_start, locks_next, locks_stop). Maybe someone has good idea how
to handle with the locks.

For performance testing I used
git://git.samba.org/jlayton/lockperf.git and for correctness
https://github.com/linux-test-project/ltp/tree/master/testcases/network/nfsv4/locks
In case you are missing the posix03 results, my machine doesn't like
it too much. The load brings it to its knees due to the very high
load. Propably I need different parameters.

I didn't run excessive tests so far, because I am waiting for getting
access on a bigger box compared to my small i7-4850HQ system. I hope
to see larger improvements when there are more cores involved.

[...]