Date:	Mon, 2 Mar 2015 17:45:23 -0800 (PST)
From:	David Lang <david@...g.hm>
To:	Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl@...l.net>
Subject: Re: [proposal] delegating cgroup manager to non-PID1

On Tue, 3 Mar 2015, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 12:13 AM, David Lang <david@...g.hm> wrote:
>> On Sun, 1 Mar 2015, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>>
>>> in recent discussions about PID-1 alternatives (sysvinit, openrc,
>>> systemd, depinit) i was alerted to the idea that PID1 is to become the
>>> sole exlcusive process permitted to manage cgroups.  given that, just
>
>> There is less agreement on the idea that PID1 will have exclusive control
>> over cgroups than some of the posts make it seem.
>
> david, small favour to ask you (for archival purposes as well as
> convenience) - finding posts, or even the mailing lists themselves, on
> which the discussions you mention may be found, turns out to be um
> rather challenging if you happen not to have subscribed to those
> lists, such that every day you've seen all the discussions and know
> what to look for, and where.
>
> would you therefore be so kind as to publish some hints - specific
> keyword phrases more general than "PID1 cgroups" which is about the
> limit of what i can think might apply (which ironically comes up with
> every archive linking to *this* thread.... *sigh*), or better perhaps
> some specific references to specific mailing lists.

I was tryng to avoid fanning the flames, but there has been some discussion of
it here on linux-kernel, if you search for systemd and cgroups you should find
some of the discussions. This came up and got quite heated when the changes were
first being proposed. If you look at the later discussions regarding the changes
to cgroups you should be able to find the posts where the part about enabling
wider access to cgroups has been said. There have also been long threads on
lwn.net on the topic.

sorry I can't give you better pointers from memory.

David Lang