Date:	Tue, 10 Mar 2015 17:33:13 +0200
From:	Jani Nikula <jani.nikula@...ux.intel.com>
To:	Archit Taneja <architt@...eaurora.org>, robdclark@...il.com,
	airlied@...ux.ie, treding@...dia.com, p.zabel@...gutronix.de,
	benjamin.gaignard@...aro.org, dri-devel@...ts.freedesktop.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-arm-msm@...r.kernel.org,
	daniel@...ll.ch
Subject: Re: [RFC 1/6] drm: Add top level Kconfig option for DRM fbdev emulation

On Tue, 10 Mar 2015, Archit Taneja <architt@...eaurora.org> wrote:
> On 03/10/2015 03:35 PM, Daniel Vetter wrote:

>>> DRM_KMS_FB_HELPER selects that for us, right?
>>
>> Hm right I've missed that. Reminds me that you need one more patch at the
>> end to remove all the various select DRM_KMS_FB_HELPER from all drm
>> drivers. Otherwise this knob here won't work by default if you e.g. select
>> radeon. In general we can't mix explicit options with menu entries with a
>> select.
>
> I was trying that out. Removing DRM_KMS_FB_HELPER and having
> DRM_FBDEV_EMULATION disabled breaks drivers which use FB stuff
> internally in their respective xyz_fbdev.c files.
>
> Are you saying that we should remove DRM_KMS_FB_HELPER for such drivers
> and replace them with 'select DRM_FBDEV_EMULATION'?

Slightly tangential: As a rule of thumb, you should not "select"
anything that is visible in menuconfig or has dependencies [1]. This
will break the build eventually, and attempts to fix it are troublesome
[2].

BR,
Jani.

[1] Documentation/kbuild/kconfig-language.txt
[2] http://mid.gmane.org/1413580403-16225-1-git-send-email-jani.nikula@intel.com