Date:	Wed, 11 Mar 2015 15:04:50 +0800
From:	"Lu, Baolu" <baolu.lu@...ux.intel.com>
To:	Alan Stern <stern@...land.harvard.edu>,
	Mathias Nyman <mathias.nyman@...ux.intel.com>
CC:	Jörg Otte <jrg.otte@...il.com>,
	USB list <linux-usb@...r.kernel.org>,
	Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@....samsung.com>
Subject: Re: [V4.0.0-rc3] Xhci Regression: ERROR Transfer event TRB DMA ptr
 not part of current TD

On 03/11/2015 02:49 AM, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Mar 2015, Mathias Nyman wrote:
>
>>> Mathias:
>>>
>>> Your patch description says this:

>>> However, if a driver tries to issue an endpoint reset while there are
>>> still some URBs queued, it is a bug.  Host controller drivers shouldn't
>>> have to worry about this -- xhci_endpoint_reset() should simply return
>>> an error if the endpoint ring isn't empty.
>>>
>>> I suppose we should check for this in the USB core.  I'll write a patch
>>> and CC: you.
>>>
>>> Alan Stern
>>>
>> It's possible that there's something in usb core as well,
>> but I think the following was what happened:
>>
>> 1. First a normal configure endpoint command is issued, it sets endpoint dequeue pointer
>>     to xxx400 = start of ring segment
>> 2. two urbs get queued -> two TDs put on endpoint ring.
>> 3. xhci executes those, ring is in running (idle) state. sw dequeue at xxx430, No TDs queued.
>>     Endpoint dequeue pointer is not written to the endpoint output context as the ring is still
>>     in running state (even if idle, not advancing with no TDs queued) it still shows xxx400
>> 4. -> something happends, xhci_endpoint_reset() is called, we do a new configure endpoint
>>     to 'soft reset' the endpiont, but we copy the dequeue pointer from the old endpoint
>>     output context to the configure endpoint input context, which re-initializes the old
>>     dequeue xxx400 pointer to xhci hardware, and it starts executing the old TDs from the ring.

Is it possible to return an error message up to client driver? The
client driver then decides
how to handle this kind of error. It, possibly, unlink all ongoing
transfers and ask host driver
to soft reset this endpoint. When xhci_endpoint_reset is called, there
should be no ongoing
transfers.

Thanks,
Baolu