Date:	Fri, 20 Mar 2015 13:40:46 +0800
From:	Jiang Liu <jiang.liu@...ux.intel.com>
To:	"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@...ysocki.net>,
	Bjorn Helgaas <bhelgaas@...gle.com>
CC:	Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@...hat.com>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...hat.com>,
	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>,
	"x86@...nel.org" <x86@...nel.org>,
	Thomas Hellstrom <thellstrom@...are.com>,
	"bp @ alien8 . de" <bp@...en8.de>, Lv Zheng <lv.zheng@...el.com>,
	"yinghai @ kernel . org" <yinghai@...nel.org>,
	"lenb @ kernel . org" <lenb@...nel.org>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	"linux-pci@...r.kernel.org" <linux-pci@...r.kernel.org>,
	"linux-acpi@...r.kernel.org" <linux-acpi@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [Bugfix] x86/PCI: Release PCI IRQ resource only if PCI device
 is disabled when unbinding

On 2015/3/19 23:57, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Thursday, March 19, 2015 09:08:38 AM Bjorn Helgaas wrote:

>>> If that is the plan, then I'd rather revert the offending commit and try
>>> again in the next cycle.
>>>
>>> Bjorn, what do you think?
>>
>> I don't know how hard it is to just revert that one commit at this
>> point, but I would be in favor of doing that if it's feasible.
>
> The commit reverts cleanly and reverting it won't break anything that used to
> work in 3.19 and earlier (Gerry, please let me know if that is not correct).
Yes, revert should not cause new issues.
Commit b4b55cda5874("Refine the way to release PCI IRQ resources")
is a bugfix for xen-pciback. But the bugfix causes regressions on
other platform. So it would be better to revert it and fix the issue
in another better way in next merging window.

> The only adverse consequence of reverting it I can see would be that the
> IOAPIC hotplug won't work in 4.0, but it didn't work before either and
> it's supposed to be a new feature in 4.0.
IOAPIC hotplug may still work, it only causes regressions to some PCI
drivers.

>> We're headed toward a real morass of changelogs for a design that
>> seems destined for overhaul.  That makes it really hard to backport
>> and rework things later.
>
> Precisely.
Sorry for the troubles.
When designing IOAPIC hotplug, I found architect has provided suitable
hook points for IOAPIC pin usage track, so I adopted hook points in
pci_enable/disable_device(). But recent regression reports remind
me that's wrong decision, so will rework it in new way.
Thanks!
Gerry